Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I started a 1969 GTO project with my dad. Upon him stripping everything down he realized it must have been hit pretty good at one time on the right side. The frame has a pretty good kink in it on the vertical radius behind the front suspension. I have not found a body shop that would touch it (as of this post). So my question is: do shops not do this type of work any longer, or am I just calling the wrong places? (I am in the Philadelphia region). If replacement is another option where is the best source to find a frame? Thank you in advance for any insight!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Oh man that sucks , for sure. I hate it when someone takes advantage of a buyer. Depending on how bad the wrinkle and the location of this wrinkle it just might not be able or possible to straighten, I do body work and have been a body tech and have been part of some pretty hard hit and bent frames, keep in mind that frame is 48 + plus years old and just might not be strong enough to with stand the heat that would be needed to straighten and a shops liabilty would be on the line as well, you might find yourself up to locating a usable frame, sorry to say. You might check with CTC Auto Ranch in Texas, Franks Pontiacs in California, and there might be somewhere closer ( I hope for your sake) , I’m not for sure and hope someone would jump in and direct you in a better direction, I’m just offering my opinion.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Depends on your budget and what you want to do with the car as well. There are a variety of aftermarket / performance frames, that are better than the factory, but they are not cheap and affect the titling of the car in some states.

As for autobody shops, very few shops out here in socal are interested in restorations or working on old cars.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I believe the guy is looking for frame help, just saying, not sure where pin striping came from out of this topic,?, but least he had a recommendation when he gets to that point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, I have reached out to most on that Google search prior to posting without luck. I will try a few of the others.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well Eric, hang in there and keep researching, there’s a salvage yard if my memory is right that isn’t far from you, I’ll keep looking in my files, you might be able to locate a section of frame and cut out the wrinkled section and replace, we cut semi frames all the time to lengthen them , we have turned semi trucks into box trucks as well, so, with that said, there are options. I had a 73 442 Olds that the frame rusted out where the lower control arm off the rear axle , we cut out the bad , located a donor section and welded it in, never had another issue , drag raced the car and sold the car a few years later as a roller, the guy brings it to local car shows. It can be done, it might take some research , best of luck, I wish I could help you out better, texting and forums are tuff , one can mistake or mis - interpret, there’s a lot of talent and guys full of info and resources, members here are not on line but keep your thread active and keep asking here or you could register with maxperformanceinc.com if you haven’t already, there is a lot that goes on that forum as well, best of luck Eric

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Just keep calling around. Most big shops have a frame straightening machine because often when a car is in an accident, they have to pull it to get it straight and then do the body repairs.

What they will need is a schematic with all the frame dimensions. If you have this when going to a shop and show them, they may be more inclined to help - otherwise they will most likely turn you down each time.

MY opinion - I don't think I would splice anything in as you do not know that the rest of the frame is straight. Could be off at another point and then you would be back to square one looking for a frame machine. If I were to splice it, I would get a section from the rear side rails forward and weld it in as the factory did just before the rear section that goes up and over the rear axle. This way you would also be saving the stamped VIN numbers on the rear frame rail and there would be no hassles with DMV or registering the car.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
The frame will need to be replaced/repaired to begin with. The body will likely have to come off. This isn't a deal breaker, just a lot more work. On the up side, you will be able to do a very nice job on everything else with the body off! And then, when it's all said and done, you will need to find a good pinstriper!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The frame will need to be replaced/repaired to begin with. The body will likely have to come off. This isn't a deal breaker, just a lot more work. On the up side, you will be able to do a very nice job on everything else with the body off! And then, when it's all said and done, you will need to find a good pinstriper!!!
Body is already off, we were in the phase of getting ready to prep the frame for restoration. That's when we noticed unfortunately.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Body is already off, we were in the phase of getting ready to prep the frame for restoration. That's when we noticed unfortunately.
Post a photo of the damaged area. We might have some suggestions for repair. Frames are pretty easy to repair in many cases.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Post a photo of the damaged area. We might have some suggestions for repair. Frames are pretty easy to repair in many cases.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It was difficult to photo, but very obvious in person. It is pushed back and up, hard and far enough it kinked the radius in the frame. It looks minor in the pics, but its racked pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
I sold frame last fall. You will find one. Keep an eye on Craigslist . I have been told thing have changed by my son that a lot of Pontiac parts forums are now on Facebook . Your frame will be the same as any GM A body built from 68 to 72 . Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Chevy. So millions of cars . They come up very often and you should be able to get a decent frame only for under 1000 dollars. . The best thing is have cash ready , get word out your looking and you will get what you want .i would drop a line on PY forum also . If I see any will let you know as I'm in the Boston area. Doug

1 - 20 of 33 Posts