Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Well I have some good news for all of you who have been watching the youtube videos of the 1969 GTO Upgrades. She is finally finished and I took her to the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Autocross Competition at Atlanta Motor Speedway this weekend.

Thank you Bear, EricAnimal, and all you other guys on the forums that helped me get the car together. Your awesome.

I’d like to thank Jim Lehart, owner of Central Virginia Machine service, for the 600 horsepower 461 stroker engine build.

I’d also like to thank Mark Savitske, owner of Savitske Classic and Custom for the modified suspension components. Car is very powerful and handles like a modern sports car. Next weekend is Road Atlanta :D

Here is the live in car video. Hope you enjoy.

1969 GTO SCCA Autocross Atlanta Motor Speedway - YouTube

-John

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
I watched both your videos. Man that thing sounds nice and it sure looks like it handles. :cheers

Good job!

I may want to pick your brain on what all you did to your suspension to get those results.

How much cam, which intake/carb, which headers are you running on that thing?

Bear

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may want to pick your brain on what all you did to your suspension to get those results.

How much cam, which intake/carb, which headers are you running on that thing?

Bear
Bear, the suspension package was built around the SPC Upper Adjustable control arms and tall ball joints offered exclusively through SC&C. The upper control arms and tall ball joints actually correct the bad front end geometry on the A-Body, allowing race ready camber and caster settings. The stiff front and rear SPC Springs also lower the cars center of gravity and stiffen the body role characteristics. I did install 3/4 inch spring spacers on the front to get a little more header clearance since the lowering springs take the car down about 3 inches in the front. With the spacers I now have about 5 inches clearance. Here is a link to the package that I installed. I did upgrade to the Koni adjustable shocks instead of using the Bilsteins.

SC&C Touring Suspension Package 1964-1972 GM A Body | Savitske Classic & Custom

As for the engine Jim and I selected a Torker II intake, Kaufman racing equipment D-Port aluminum heads ported to flow at 330. Forged eagle crank, scorpion 1.65 rockers, Forged Icon pistons and H-Beam rods. I think the cam was 248/252 with a 110 lob seperation. Headers are Hooker Super Competition 1 3/4 (1.75). Jim suggested the AED HO Holly 850 carb. AED chops of the choke horn and does some tuning on the carbs for max flow and performance.

·
Registered
113 Posts
John
I am pretty sure I saw your engine on Jim's test stand when I picked up my 400 late last summer. I should be up and running later this summer. I went low budget and installed the CPP stage 1 all the way around with 2” drop spindle and 2” drop rear springs. (just kick me now).

I am just now reading Mark’s book and already making plans on how to fix what I did not get from CCP. I will know better once I drive it. I am just looking for a good handling weekend warrior.

It is good to know that, if done correctly, the A-body GTO can handle well. Nice job John.
Lance

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John
I am pretty sure I saw your engine on Jim's test stand when I picked up my 400 late last summer. I should be up and running later this summer. I went low budget and installed the CPP stage 1 all the way around with 2” drop spindle and 2” drop rear springs. (just kick me now).

I am just now reading Mark’s book and already making plans on how to fix what I did not get from CCP. I will know better once I drive it. I am just looking for a good handling weekend warrior.

It is good to know that, if done correctly, the A-body GTO can handle well. Nice job John.
Lance
Jim really does amazing work. What engine did you have built?

I read Marks book also. You can basically buy one of his suspension kits and it takes all the guess work and part matching out of the equation.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Jim did his basic "400 Restoration" package with the addition of new rods, Crane ignition module and what he calls the "Sportsman's Package" mild porting. I re-built a 77 vintage Q-Jet as per Cliff Ruggles book and one of his hand picked performance re-build kits. The exhaust manifold is Ramair Restoration's oversized RA manifold. Jim's calculator estimates about 400 HP @ 475 FPT.

After I drive it for a while, I will access what CCP stuff needs to be replaced. I might get lucky and have good spring and sway bar rates. I know I will at lease need adjustable upper 'A's and tall ball joints to correct camber.

Here is first fire-up video from last summer: First Time Fire-up of the 68 GTO 400 - YouTube
Lance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts