Pontiac GTO Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Pontrc,

I sure will. I will be renting a spring compressor and any other safety tools I need from Advance auto to do the job safely.

When I had my 1976 Gran Prix back in the 80's I did the rear Spings in the parking lot of the apartment I was living in at the time. I know totally different animal then the fronts. I never did attempt to do the fronts.
I cannot find that there is a current AC part number for a front spring for your 69 GTO. Maybe's there's one out there, but it's beyond me. The ones I suggested should do the trick, or if you're ordering from a spring maker, they'll just make what you need.
There's not a ton of equipment you'll need. The rears are super easy. The fronts are a pain. You do not compress the springs, you move the lower control arm. There's 2 main methods; Separate the lower ball joint and open it from that angle or remove the control arm bolts and go from that side. Either way that control arm is LOADED when you do this so be careful.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Dp when I did mine 10 yrs ago and this was doing all the suspension I did the lower ball joint route. Of course the ball joint was new anyway.I did not have the front end or engine to help with the ballast and when trying to compress the car was lifting off the floor. Had to put the engine in temporary to get it done. Don’t think a spring compressor is going to work on install so much of that spring is housed in the upper chassis. The other method Mine spoke of I would probably do on a rack not jack stands.Probably would replace lower ball joints too use Moog parts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Dp when I did mine 10 yrs ago and this was doing all the suspension I did the lower ball joint route. Of course the ball joint was new anyway.I did not have the front end or engine to help with the ballast and when trying to compress the car was lifting off the floor. Had to put the engine in temporary to get it done. Don’t think a spring compressor is going to work on install so much of that spring is housed in the upper chassis. The other method Mine spoke of I would probably do on a rack not jack stands.Probably would replace lower ball joints too use Moog parts
Yes, you will not enjoy trying to do the control arm bolt method on stands! If you're on a hoist, then that is by far easier than the ball joint method. I mentioned it as in my shop we installed about a zillion sets prying them in from the ball joint side. I hired a new old tech about 20 years ago and he brought that method to us. Hoping someone else might pick up a tip.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Hello Guys,

On Tuesday we (my twin and I) went to install the new rear Ames coil springs (S364 (firm)).
We compared the ones we pulled out to the Ames springs the original springs are much shorter.

Ames spring on the left and the spring we took out.

My twin and I decided to go ahead and install the springs with some advice and feed back from the gents over on the PY forum.

Took some measurements on both sides and the ride height was at 9.25". I know they will settle over time. So with the shorter springs they are still within tolerance.

When we installed the new springs and with them being shorter in height they did not sit all the way up into the upper perch. Using the floor jack we lifted up differential slowing and I had to hold/guide the springs up into the the upper perch.

With the springs being shorter my concern is when the car is put on a frame lift the springs will drop out of the perches.
Has anyone else run in this problem?
How do you hold them in place if jacking car up by the frame?
Or just remember to always jack it up my the differential?

Also on Tuesday I tackled the driver side front. All I have left is removal of the upper control arm.
Going to replace ball joints and bushings. They are all in sorry shape.
With new ones install hopefully it will get rid of the creaking sounds when I jack the car up:)

Wednesday night I tackled the passenger side. The upper control arm was not the easiest to get at the nuts (A/C car) to break loose. When they did finally break loose they were just spinning then I realized they broke loose from the frame. I know these are supposed to be pressed in Correct?

I have order new upper control arm bolts and nuts, arm bumpers, stabilizer (sway bar) bushings and links.

Passenger spring has this tag on it.
Is this a factor tag?
Could these possibility still be factor springs that came on the GTO?

Now it is time to get dirty in the cleaning process of the control arms for paint.

Thanks
Tom

Attachments

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
That is a difference in height, I wonder if those were station wagon springs. Normally on jacking the car up the shocks will allow it to drop so far. On mine the springs do leave the purch also but not enough to come out

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi All,

Took the GTO out for a ride last weekened with my twin to his boys house in Indiana

As you can see it is sitting up much better now that I have replaced pretty much all the front suspension.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts