Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cheers I recently purchased a 2006 w/ 6speed which brings back memories of my 69. THe 69 had 400 cid w/ headman headers, 4:11 OLds gear, crane cam and lifters, 3 angle valve cut, offenhauser dual pland ntake and a Holley 780. Of course a Mallory dual point distr. My new 2006 is about as fast and certainly handles better. ALso better average gas mileage ( 18.3 2,100 miles) and top end, well I won't go there.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Another thing I like is the 100-0 times. Probably about half what a classic GTO would have been!

I've got a '68 Chevelle, and the acceleration doesn't scare me, but wondering when it will stop sometimes does!:rofl:

·
Registered
455 Posts
noz34me said:
Another thing I like is the 100-0 times. Probably about half what a classic GTO would have been!

I've got a '68 Chevelle, and the acceleration doesn't scare me, but wondering when it will stop sometimes does!:rofl:
LOL, you got that right. The DEcelleration is probably scarier on classic cars than the accelleration!

I've owned a few older cars, even if though some weren't really old (like 1985) but often stopping was a matter of squinting my eyes shut and rocking the steering wheel to get more tire resistance.

·
Registered
937 Posts
C5ORGTO said:
Welcome. You really are getting 18+mpg with your 06. Wow. I'm getting 14mpg now. Oh well, gas is cheap.
I am getting 20 (19.9 by the computer which has been suprisingly accurate by the fuel pump numbers against mileage) in my goat. All surface streets on the way to work too. When It was brand new I was getting around 10. Big increase as everything loosens up. Yes, I do drive it like I stole it too. I never run the A/C though and I am in 6th at 40MPH when I am cruising.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:cheers I live in houston and travel the freeways at peak times, which is kinda like being in a real long parking lot. My mpg reflects that, plus I am breaking it in slowly, using Mobil 1 and am 59 years old. All this = 18+ mpg.

IT does slow down quick, hadn't remembered that about the 69 with drums.

I do remember 10 mpg at best, vapor lock with the carb, no A/C, no cornering just stright awy ZOOOOM. Back then I idolized FI vettes, now i have one with a GTO body.

·
Registered
937 Posts
My first car was a 1969 Chevelle, Green with white racing stripes. No power steering. Drum Brakes, cant remember if they were power assist or not. No A/C. AM Radio, 1 speaker. 3 on the tree converted to Hurst floor shift. 350 cubes, 4 barrel carb. Glass Packs on the exhaust. Black wheels with chrome rings. I could go like 70 in first gear. I would go from 0 to burn the rubber off the tires until they popped so fast you just couldnt even believe it, I would assume since first was so tall. Stopping was literally a scary thing to do because if the drums were not all adjusted together, brake pedal application would send you careening off into another lane. My GTO is like driving a rail car by comparison. Yet I miss that stupid old car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.