Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this 1970 GTO that dies around turns half the time.

Any ideas what could cause this?
When it was purchased years ago it was doing this and still does it today.

It has an older Holly carb 650 double pump with headers & sounds like some kind of bigger cam in it. I am not sure about what kind of aftermarket and or performance parts are in the engine.

When it dies it just dies instantly around the turn. It doesn't seem like it is missing or idling too low right before it dies. It dies 1/2-3/4 in the turn.

Any ideas what could cause this or where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't know what is going on with it and am also trying to learn as I go.

But if the floats are sticking and or not adjusted correctly why does it die only around a turn? I would of thought it would of have enough fuel to make 30 feet through a turn. It idles in park & in gear and does not die. lt also drives straight without dying.

Can you help out a newbie out and explain more in detail why you think this?

Thanks

·
Registered
727 Posts
Might be a fuel delivery issue, but it also could be electrical...

I had the same problem on one of my cars many years ago.

Turned out the wire going to the points was shorting out against the distributor shaft.
That would kill the ignition voltage and shut it down cold. For some reason, it would only happen on right hand turns!

A short in the steering column/ignition switch harness could cause the same problem.

First thing to do is verify if you have fuel and spark when this happens, so you don't waste a lot of time looking in the wrong place.

Will it shut off when you turn the wheel while the car is stationary, or does it only happen when the car is in motion?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the float level is too high, a turn might just be enough to have the fuel spill over into the into the engine and drown it out. To help diagnose things, is it hard to start after it ides? Smell gas or see black smoke after restarting?

What is the idle speed? Might it be too slow?

Electrical issues such as been mentioned as well as bad grounds could add to the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts