Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am still pretty new to my 70 Goat. Is there any way to get to the gauge cluster bulbs without pulling the whole dash out? I think all but two are burnt out, and I really don't want to get into pulling the whole dash out right now. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I should think that despite the busy-ness under the dash you should be able to reach up under there and do it, You might have to lie on your back on the floor with your head near the pedals to see but it's been done on my '68. (That's the joy of the '64-65's as hey are relatively uncluttered under the dash!!)

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will take a look this weekend............yes my '65 Grand Prix was much easier to get into the dash. I am amazed at what all chnged in the electricals in just 5 years. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I will take a look this weekend............yes my '65 Grand Prix was much easier to get into the dash. I am amazed at what all chnged in the electricals in just 5 years. Thanks.
Too true! My '68 looks more like my wife's Chevy HHR under the dash than like my brother's "65 Chevelle, unbelievable.:surprise:

·
Registered
3 Posts
To make thing easy when I changed to LED dash bulbs, I took the drivers' seat out (about two minutes). I then used a folded blanket to lay on my back comfortably, and with a small flashlight, I was able to see every light on the back of the dash.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good idea.........it poured rain all weekend, so I may try again to get it in the driveway so I can sprawl out under there (I'm 6'4 and my garage is a little too cramped for the head-under-the dash-legs-out-door position. Thanks all for the advice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So finally a productive weekend. Got my bulbs replaced, tach and gauges installed, new radio and amp installed, and an Ames dash cap on there. I'm really happy with the cap; I was a little hesitant but definitely looks good. I had to trim a little around the glove box; I used aviation cutters and then some 80-grit sandpaper. A tip I lerned from YouTube: use weathersrip adhesive all over it, and use rolls of paper towels between the windshield and cap until it dries. I will try to post some pics of the during and after.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts