Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any easier way to get the PCV valve and grommet in the intake valley?

Should be simple, but I can't get good angles to twist or rock it in or downward pressure to pop it in.

Been playing with this over an hour :(
I tried sockets with an extension and hammer but it just gives too much.

It seems like it needs to be installed separately but then I can't get the PCV valve in if I put the grommet in first.
I tried both ways

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Make sure each one is oiled. Install the grommet first, and then the PCV valve. If it's impossible to get the PCV valve in, then maybe they gave you the wrong one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I oiled it a little and now the grommet is inside the valley pan and I can't see it. If I start digging around to try and locate it can it fall somewhere worse?

Not sure if I should dig for it, leave it and get a new one or remove the intake and valley pan.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
You might be able to fish it out. I don't think it can fall out, but it might be able to go out of your reach. I don't think you would have peace of mind if you left it in.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I oiled it a little and now the grommet is inside the valley pan and I can't see it. If I start digging around to try and locate it can it fall somewhere worse?

Not sure if I should dig for it, leave it and get a new one or remove the intake and valley pan.
I'd want to get that out of there. Even though it's only made of rubber, it could cause issues in the future. Unlike a Chevy engine, the cam is partially exposed from the top so the grommet could end up falling further into the block. Figure worst case, if you have to remove the intake and valley cover, it'll be way easier to pop the grommet in on the work bench.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am pulling the intake and the push rod cover. The manual says cement the new gasket to the cover.
Anyone recommend what to use will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI I pulled the pan and the grommet can go through the hole on the bottom, that is how I got it out. After I got the pan out it was a couple inches from the bottom hole.

Anyone know what cement the manual is referring to when they say cement the gasket to the pan?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
In the old days they used something like Gasgacinch. I use silicon seal, but you have to use it sparingly, and make sure you trim off the excess. Also just put it on the valley pan side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts