Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
There is a 1970 GTO dash on Ebay I looked at. Same as yours, but Ebayer's don't always know what they have and sell it as something it really is not. Pic #1 & #2 .

I also enclosed another 1970 GTO dash restored by Just Dashes and they show the "engine turned aluminum molding" - Pic #3 & another restored GTO car dash Pic #4 .

Just to throw a wrench in it all, look at Pic #5 , it has both - swirl & flat panel.

Pic #6 & #7 answers the question. 1970 Lemans lower dash insert. This is what you have, not the "engine turned aluminum molding" that seems to be on the 1970 GTO/Judges I looked at on the internet.

My restroration guide does not mention the 1970 GTO insert, but it does mention that the 1971-72 GTO had the "engine turned aluminum molding."

Are you sure you have a GTO? Not being funny about it either. Someone could have swapped yours out, or with Pontiac's, very possible yours is indeed factory installed. But I would conclude that the 1970-72 GTO's had the "engine turned aluminum molding" and the Lemans used the plain aluminum molding. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 70 GTO has the same dash as #3 posted by Pontiac Jim I don’t claim to be an expert on the matter but I have never seen a 70 GTO that didn’t have swirled inserts. I also wonder if that is a GTO, while I know there were some GTO’s that were made with column shift automatics I would have to think they would have to be very rare .

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree, the column shift is suspicious...the lower dash, however, may be correct. The swirl was simply an aluminum overlay and underneath looks exactly like what you have there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts