Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bench tested the sending unit with the gauge and it goes from empty to full correctly according the gauge reading. (moved the float manually out of the tank)

Problem is I put around 4 Gallons of gas in it still shows empty. It has not moved from 0-4 gallons.

The pickup length seems to be correct as when I pulled the tank out it had about 1 gallon of gas in it and the car still was running before I removed the tank.

My guess is the float arm is not bent-angled properly or wrong length to start moving with that little amount of gas in there.

I bought the correct sending unit from one of the GTO online sources so it should be the correct one for the car.

The tank looks correct but not not 100% sure. is there numbers on it to verify it?

Just wanted verification before I try to start bending the float rod what else could it be or should be checked first.

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Read this. Testing procedure for reading empty all the time.

https://www.fillingstation.com/articles/fuelgaugetesting.htm
It all checks out good. I get 0 to 96 ohms or so and it moves the gauge outside the tank and the float "Floats"

What I believe the problem to be is the float is hitting the baffle. When I set the unit in the hole almost all the way down, all it will move is a 1/2" until it hits the baffles. When the float goes up it will even need more room then the 1/2" I have right now.

Anyone have a picture down the sending unit opening in the tank so I can compare what it looks like to mine? Or better yet a picture of the tank cut apart :)

Anyone ever hear of this happening?

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts