Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father purchased my beloved goat as my first car back in 1988. I discovered some time ago that the car had been repainted white over the original paint. It appears that it was originally white and has 2 blue stripes with stars running from the nose over the scoops all the way back to the rear bumper and narrow red stripes to the inside of the blue. The paint goes under the window trim into the window channels front and rear. Looks like the old Evel Kinevel colors. I have always been curious if this was a factory job or dealer job because I can't imagine someone would have gone to that much trouble to add the stripes in the 80s. The car was purchased in the Dallas TX area. Has anyone ever seen a goat like this before? Can anyone tell me how I could find out how those stripes got there? she was a daily driver for a few years and has been in storage for the last ten waiting for restoration. I would really like to figure this out and appreciate any help. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
doubt it was factory, the reason its is in the channels is they did it correctly and took the glass out to spray it. Other option is that it might have been a give away car for a contest, there are a few guys on here who have the original contest applications for their cars....pretty cool....do some research these days with the internet you can find all kinds of info. Also if you order the PHS documents it will tell you the original paint code they did have a code for "special" paint i think it was 0 or blank. and your id plate inside the engine bay will have the paint code.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
:agree....possible, but since his dad bought it as his first car i assumed that it was a street car, not many racers get restored back to street gear.....but you know what they say about assuming....:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll check into the paint codes. Whoever did the work put some real time into it. the previous owner had a "typical" $99 paint job to cover it all. Fine grit sand paper has worked great to uncover most of it. One of my Mopar buddies thinks it may have had something to do with the bicentennial in '76 and that the owner had it done to the car then.( or maybe he was just a huge Evel Kinevel fan):lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts