Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently am having some trouble with my 70 Lemans steering wheel, when I'm driving at certain points when I'm turning it will slightly get caught up and not turn without a little bit more pressure.
It all started when I took the wheel off to straighten it and when I put it back on and tightened down I felt it it kinda pop into place. Likewise the horn now is constantly going off and I had to disconnect the horn relay.
Did I tighten it down too much and knock a bearing off causing it now to catch? Or could it be something else?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
sounds like maybe

you blew apart the cancel cam coming up thru the steering wheel

time to pull it apart

I havent had much luck on the 69 n newer ... centering the steering wheel that way

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked and nothing is catching in the engine bay. I took the wheel apart today and before I did when the wheel turned I could hear it grinding slightly.
The canceling cam didn't appear to be broken.
I did notice the shaft in the wheel that everything bolts onto and around does move in and out about an 1" or 3/4". Is that normal?
Also the part that gets pressed down and and holds the canceling cam down is bent a little. It happened when I was pressing it back into place, could this also be catching on something in the wheel?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
maybe

Jack the front tires off the ground and have some one turn the tires left n right while you listen inside...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts