Pontiac GTO Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Does anyone have a recommendation on a new water pump for this build? I was thinking of Flow Kooler #1649 or a Tuff Stuff #1475.
Any thoughts one way or the other?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Does anyone have a recommendation on a new water pump for this build? I was thinking of Flow Kooler #1649 or a Tuff Stuff #1475.
Any thoughts one way or the other?
Personal opinion I suppose. Could not find a view of the impeller on the Tuff Stuff pump, but I am going to say it is similar to factory.

Flow Kooler seems to be liked by many, but seeing it flows way more at lower RPM's, I personally don't think I want that flow to ramp up too high as the engine's RPM's start to reach peak. Could the pump produce enough pressures to pop a water hose or exert unneeded pressures on a radiator? I think it may work much better on an engine having the pulleys that reduce water pump speeds at the lower RPM's so as not to pump too much pressures at higher RPM's. Would also seem to me that moving a higher GPM water pump must have the coolant flow within the block/radiator to work best. If not, would the pressure build up at the water pump create a power loss, or belt slippage, if the rest of the cooling system could not handle the high GPM water pump flow? I am no expert of course, and don't know if any real world testing has ever been done - might be interesting.

So this may be your call. Do some internet reviews on Pontiac as well as other makes.

I am going with the Milodon version which someone said was made/same as GNB. They also have the high flow T-stats which Tuff-Stuff also offers. I got my pump from Summit. Never had a cooling issue with any stock pumps, but your cooling system has to be matched to the engine's HP/TQ which is more about the radiator and air flow, not water flow - my opinion.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Personal opinion I suppose. Could not find a view of the impeller on the Tuff Stuff pump, but I am going to say it is similar to factory.

Flow Kooler seems to be liked by many, but seeing it flows way more at lower RPM's, I personally don't think I want that flow to ramp up too high as the engine's RPM's start to reach peak. Could the pump produce enough pressures to pop a water hose or exert unneeded pressures on a radiator? I think it may work much better on an engine having the pulleys that reduce water pump speeds at the lower RPM's so as not to pump too much pressures at higher RPM's. Would also seem to me that moving a higher GPM water pump must have the coolant flow within the block/radiator to work best. If not, would the pressure build up at the water pump create a power loss, or belt slippage, if the rest of the cooling system could not handle the high GPM water pump flow? I am no expert of course, and don't know if any real world testing has ever been done - might be interesting.

So this may be your call. Do some internet reviews on Pontiac as well as other makes.

I am going with the Milodon version which someone said was made/same as GNB. They also have the high flow T-stats which Tuff-Stuff also offers. I got my pump from Summit. Never had a cooling issue with any stock pumps, but your cooling system has to be matched to the engine's HP/TQ which is more about the radiator and air flow, not water flow - my opinion.

Thank you Jim. I always appreciate your sage advice
I’ll see what my builder suggests and take it from there. The reviews that I have read on the Milodon unit are positive and there’s no need to reinvent the wheel as they say, so I’ll keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1971 GTO resto mod. Modified 428 HO, 4 sp (built by midwest muncie) Dana 60, 3.55 rear
40 Posts
Joe,
I think the same way as Pontiac Jim.. The Flow cooler puts out more volume which in turn would mean a faster flow of coolant in the motor (assuming the thermostat allows for higher flows). Coolant needs some time for the heat transfer to take place and the faster that coolant flows the less heat it will pick up from the heads and block. A better thought is to (a Jim mentioned) pay attention to how well the radiator is cooling which means having the correct fan and all the shrouds in place. My own particular motor is using a factory type water pump with aluminum heads and the motor runs cool at about 175-180 deg's. at the thermostat housing w/180 deg. stat. To help with cooling, you might consider a higher volume oil pump which would be better for the motor bearings/cam shaft. Again, just my two cents.

·
Registered
1971 GTO resto mod. Modified 428 HO, 4 sp (built by midwest muncie) Dana 60, 3.55 rear
40 Posts
A couple of things i forgot to mention above.. That heat transfer is more critical on iron heads than aluminum and you might look into aluminum radiators. Aluminum dissipates heat faster/better than the old style copper ones..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
A couple of things i forgot to mention above.. That heat transfer is more critical on iron heads than aluminum and you might look into aluminum radiators. Aluminum dissipates heat faster/better than the old style copper ones..
Thank you for the replies Jim.
My ‘69 already has a 3” aluminum rad in it that works very well so I don’t really have any pressing concerns - I was actually more seeking exactly the type of advice that I have been receiving
Flaws in my thought process and better directions to go in are what I’m after, and where better to find those than from a forum full of been-there-done-that Goat owners

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The excitement is starting to build
My first box of goodies arrived from Butler today

21 - 27 of 27 Posts