Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the opportunity to buy a 1971 1/2 GT-37. I was wondering if anyone knows how rare these are. I am told it is a numbers matching 350 2bbl with original 350 auto trans. it has original paint and reflective stripes still. It is in rough shape but might be worth restoring. Any and all help would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
855 Posts
Thats a great FIND! It is rarer than the GTO! In the day it was advertised as " The GTO for kids under 30" Part of the GT-37 option was the Stripes & hood locking pins. The GT-37 was a $237 option on the T-37. Combined total of GT-37 built in the 71 and 71 1/2 years was 5802.It was the late John Sawruk's favorite car. His was a beauty. Hope you decide to go for it. Maybe I'll get to see it at a GTOAA convention some day. Be sure to say HI. LES

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
It's not going to have a value as high as a GTO or a GT-37 with the 400 engine option but it is a worthwhile restoration. As stated , there weren't many made so yes it is "rare".
Do you have more pics ?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Lotsa guys gotta GTO.....I haven't seen any GT-37s driving around.......Uhhhhh....hmmmm...ever! I say go for it!

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I have posted more pics. Does anyone know if you can get tempest interior (cloth seats), its not the same as lemans and gto?
Can't say I've ever noticed any of the vendors listing cloth covers. You might have to find an outfit making custom covers for that one. Call Legendary and see if they are interested. Getting the correct material and matching the pattern will be the hard part. There are companies who advertise that service on the web.

·
Registered
855 Posts
D1147 Thanks for the updated pictures Actuality looks like a pretty solid and fairly complete car. I know I have seen PUI Interiors listed before in the making of a LeMans bench seat prototype. I think you should be able to find it. Check out the cover of the January 2009 "LEGEND" if you want to see JOHN's GT-37. Does the Driver Front fender have the same rust as the original pass side one did cause looks like a replacement pass side is there already. Keep us posted. Les

·
Registered
855 Posts
44,986 T-37s were built. 5525 T-37s had synchromesh and 39.461 had automatics. 29,466 were hardtops the rest were 4-doors and posts. The GT-37 only came in the hardtop. Les

·
Registered
81 Posts
Phoenix Graphix has the GT-37 stripe kit for 239.00 so you can find that. Looks like a decent starting point, and I haven't seen any of these around for a long while.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
personally i dont think you should bother with it. just tell me where it is and i will go over with some money and tell them you arent interested.:D

·
Registered
855 Posts
D1147,Cool put me on the same list Shane is asking for! You have a few pics of the GT-37's so you must be thinking hard about it aren't you? Les

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been thinking hard about it. They are just super cool. The seller wants 4500.00 for the car, but i'm not sure its worth that in the condition it's in.
It is # matching and rare so maybe it is. What do you guys think.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Man if it was just a 400 I would say Do it today. Is he real firm! Cause being the 350-2. You should have some dealing room ' Of the 5,802 1971's built 5,015 was the 350-2. To bad it's not the 455HO only 54 of those were built. I woud offer 2500 and try to buy at around $3000. You need the GTOAA GTO/GT-37 Illustrated Identification Guide by Eric White. Hey if you can make the Wichita Nationals this year be sure to look me up and say HI. Stick the 350 on a stand and drop a 455 in Thats what I would do. LES

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
OUCH......$4500 is a bit of a shock for the current condition. I'm with FNG.......I would think 2500 should buy it but I guess I'm cheap too.
Good luck with that decision.....:willy:

·
Registered
1 Posts
71 lemans gt-37

I purchased a LeMans GT-37 a few years back(thats what I was told it was). I now have the chance to buy it again from a relative that owns it. My questions are, does the vin tell you if it is a gt-37, and also this car has the gto optioned front end on it, did they offer this on the gt-37? It is the light blue with a silver stripe and white bucket seat interior. 350 motor and tranny,non air. Any help would be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts