Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1971 GTO 400 Positive Battery Cable having a hard time finding SIDE MOUNTED one. Most options say they only work for 455 motor. Anyone know a vendor and/or how many inches is the cable so I can have one made. Or a picture of one??

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I made my own and incorporated some design improvements along the way.

Pick the gauge you want - most will say 4 ga. is fine, but you could go with 2 or 0 -- all sold at any auto parts store by the foot.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the picture. I was hoping there would be a very specific one that would be like the original factory one. The car I am working on did not have any of the accessories, cables, etc. Only the engine. It looks like you have a solenoid between the starter and the battery---is this original??

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Thanks for the picture. I was hoping there would be a very specific one that would be like the original factory one. The car I am working on did not have any of the accessories, cables, etc. Only the engine. It looks like you have a solenoid between the starter and the battery---is this original??
The solenoid is not original. Some guys like to add a Ford solenoid.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
This is not original, but makes the car much safer as the cable to the starter is ONLY hot when cranking. Also I purchased a battery with the poles in opposite position as I did not want to have the positive terminal so close to the fender. The other wires have fusible links so there really is no chance of an electrical fire.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
I made my own and incorporated some design improvements along the way.

Pick the gauge you want - most will say 4 ga. is fine, but you could go with 2 or 0 -- all sold at any auto parts store by the foot.
This setup with 2 or 0 gauge would be what I would recommend highly.

If you are doing a restoration, then I would recommend this from Ames, the best and oldest Pontiac supplier in the USA: https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/Search_Web;jsessionid=EF401175E06662242F1CEA3B2865452F

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Have not ran across '71-72 side terminal cables properly reproduced. Aftermarket positive cables that are close in length as well as GM service replacement positive cables avail in the 80's & 90's & now sold on eBay as "nos", LOL, have a small lead that comes out of the molded side terminal end.

Length wise, the side mount negative cable is the exact same as used on a '71-72 B series with 455. The '71-72 side mount positive cable is slightly different length than the one used in the B series chassis, am watching for the box with several of these original cables. On '71 & 72 455 HO A-bodys, the positive cable is routed differently, through clips that parallel the bottom of the block versus typical Dport deal where there is a vertical tube to route the positive cable down to the starter solenoid. this routing also contributes slightly to the length. Def the way to go if running RA manifolds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts