Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After helping my uncle and cousin restore a 1970 Chevelle SS 454 matching numbers, my uncle decided to get me a car to start on....it was delivered to the house yesterday, 1971 Plymouth Road Runner. It needs quite a lot of work, and its gonna be a fun project. I personally like restomods, so thats what were gonna do. Gonna probably drop a 528 Hemi in it and put it well over 600 horsepower :cool its definitely gonna be a fun car to play with...and it will give my uncle and his chevelle a run for his money :lol: i will post pics of it soon and as its being done.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Congrats! Good luck with the build.
MOPAR??
You know what MOPAR stands for?
Mover Over Pontiac Aproaching Rapidly!!!
LOLOL....

PICS????? The roadrunner was MOPARS answer the '68 GTO. Hence the birth of the Judge to answer the Roadrunner. They've been playing catch up since. :)

R.R. is NIIIIICE!

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
After helping my uncle and cousin restore a 1970 Chevelle SS 454 matching numbers, my uncle decided to get me a car to start on....it was delivered to the house yesterday, 1971 Plymouth Road Runner. It needs quite a lot of work, and its gonna be a fun project. I personally like restomods, so thats what were gonna do. Gonna probably drop a 528 Hemi in it and put it well over 600 horsepower :cool its definitely gonna be a fun car to play with...and it will give my uncle and his chevelle a run for his money :lol: i will post pics of it soon and as its being done.
Need to see pictures!
You know what MOPAR stands for?
Mover Over Pontiac Aproaching Rapidly!!!
Thats a good one.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
PICS????? The roadrunner was MOPARS answer the '68 GTO.
They had to build something since the masses wanted a '68 GTO......:lol:
Pics, pics, pics, '71 was my favorite year Runner. I really liked the new body styling, especially the frontend.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I too like the body style, but I prefer the '73-'74 front end.
In fact, I have a friend that has a real nice stock condition '74 GTX (360/4 spd.) that I've been trying to buy from him.
If I finally persuade him to sell it to me, the first thing I'll have to do is ditch the Keystone wheels that are on it (Oops! Sorry 68greengoat).

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
If I finally persuade him to sell it to me, the first thing I'll have to do is ditch the Keystone wheels that are on it (Oops! Sorry 68greengoat).
I like Keystone Classics, cool rims, until they rust, then you can't fix them. There like Cragar SSs, 80's stuff. Oh, and I suppose you don't like Radial TAs either. Then go get yourself some 17" torque thrusts like everybody else is doing.

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Nuffin' a MIG welder & grinder can't fix. If you're patient enough.

Magically, Out Pops A Rod :willy:
Every single classic MOPAR I've driven/rode in are cheap. It just feels loose, you hit the railroad tracks and the front end goes one way and the back end goes another, they rattle like no bodies bussness, and just feel like you might not make it home. Not like the GTO, no rattles no bangs, just like driving grandpa's old Pontiac, then you hit the gas and it bout like to suck the paint off the hood! :D

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Every single classic MOPAR I've driven/rode in are cheap. It just feels loose, you hit the railroad tracks and the front end goes one way and the back end goes another, they rattle like no bodies bussness, and just feel like you might not make it home. Not like the GTO, no rattles no bangs, just like driving grandpa's old Pontiac, then you hit the gas and it bout like to suck the paint off the hood! :D
well im only 19 and this is a project to get started on...it might not be up to par for you but its a lot for me...especially since im so young and i get a car like that...thats a lot for me....and i think you have to meet the 70 Chevelle SS 454 we built, i think it will change your mind on how fast you really think your GTO is :lol: 525 Horsepower really really brings you back in your seat :cheers

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
well im only 19 and this is a project to get started on...it might not be up to par for you but its a lot for me...especially since im so young and i get a car like that...thats a lot for me....and i think you have to meet the 70 Chevelle SS 454 we built, i think it will change your mind on how fast you really think your GTO is :lol: 525 Horsepower really really brings you back in your seat :cheers
..and how much money did you have to spend to make that chevy go faster then my stock, 5 year older GTO?? ;)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the car is the exact matching numbers from when it was built in 1970....everything in that car is completely stock...454 LS6 Motor was rated at 450 horsepower in 1970 for insurance purposes....the real output of horsepower was at 525...so yea it cost a ton of money to make it completely matching numbers, but nothing upgraded from what it originally was...one of the hardest things was finding the exact 8 track player:lol:

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
I bought my '64 Grand Prix when I was 18, and my '55 Chieftain when I was 19. In retrospect, I don't know what I was thinking buying someone else's can of worms instead of saving that money for my GTO. :lol: They were old, tired machines that needed mech & body TLC. "But I can bring it back from teh deadz!" Sure... :rolleyes:

Not saying yours is, but I maybe we are a little too green in our teenage years to know exactly what to look for on the classic iron, and too focused on "but, it's a 'This'" or "That" and the fact that it's cheap.

In reality, I ditched the classics for my GTO. I got sick of having toys that spent more time on jacks with the hood open, soaking the crap out of my wallet, than on the road having fun. Still glad I made the switch. :cheers

Hope yours isn't the mess mine were.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I like Keystone Classics, cool rims, until they rust, then you can't fix them. There like Cragar SSs, 80's stuff. Oh, and I suppose you don't like Radial TAs either. Then go get yourself some 17" torque thrusts like everybody else is doing.
Nope. Never liked Keystones and I grew up with that stuff (I'm 48).
I did have a '70 Mach 1 with a set of Cragar SS/Radial TAs on it. But I was 17 when I owned it and I did think they were cool.........then.
As a matter of fact, my '69 GTO had Cragar SS wheels on it when I got the car in 1995 (14").They lasted two days on the car before I yanked them off in favor of a set of Cragar Street Lites.
I suppose you dig the air shock/Keystones/N50-15 rear tire look?:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
the car is the exact matching numbers from when it was built in 1970....everything in that car is completely stock...454 LS6 Motor was rated at 450 horsepower in 1970 for insurance purposes....the real output of horsepower was at 525...so yea it cost a ton of money to make it completely matching numbers, but nothing upgraded from what it originally was...one of the hardest things was finding the exact 8 track player:lol:
As Tim The Tool Man says: Arrrrr, Arrrrr, Arrrrrr.
Thats what I'm talking about.
:cheers

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Nope. Never liked Keystones and I grew up with that stuff (I'm 48).
They lasted two days on the car before I yanked them off in favor of a set of Cragar Street Lites.
I suppose you dig the air shock/Keystones/N50-15 rear tire look?:rolleyes:
Actually, I was at a vette show and a Mullet Nova rolled through with shackles, jacked up with N50s, 2 guys with Mullets listening to Skinner on their 8 track, I laughed and thought WTF?
I have Center line Telstars on my 70, and auto drags on my 66, so I like the big/little look. But I do like the weight advantage of a light rim/tire combo, reciprocating mass. I don't run Air shocks. My 70 is dropped an inch, but my 66 may ride high when it's done, but it's going to be even on 15" rims, 80's style. Tried to find a pic of a 67 I fell in love with, but can't find it.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Actually, I was at a vette show and a Mullet Nova rolled through with shackles, jacked up with N50s, 2 guys with Mullets listening to Skinner on their 8 track, I laughed and thought WTF?
I have Center line Telstars on my 70, and auto drags on my 66, so I like the big/little look. But I do like the weight advantage of a light rim/tire combo, reciprocating mass. I don't run Air shocks. My 70 is dropped an inch, but my 66 may ride high when it's done, but it's going to be even on 15" rims, 80's style. Tried to find a pic of a 67 I fell in love with, but can't find it.
There must be a Nova Mullet society cause I am seeing them more and more around here not to mention other "mom's bodies on a dad's frame." Lots of small framed cars with a steroid pack in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts

If you want to hear Skinner in the best place possible, take in a NASCAR race in Talladega, Alabama and camp out in the infield. They play "Sweet Home Alabama" about 7 a.m. to wake up the infield crowd. One of my buddies used to own a "mullet" Nova..........

1 - 20 of 31 Posts