Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just joined the forum. I have a question about the supposed one and only GTO Convertible from 1972. Did pontiac really make it and the three wagons. A lot of people tell me no, but I personally saw one of the GTO wagons up for sale in South Carolina. Not only that, but I have a 1972 GTO convertible that checks out as a GTO from the VIN number not a LeMans. Any thoughts?

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Welcome to the forums.
I know they did the SW's out the back door for a couple of the workers in the GTO plant, but not sure about the convertible for `72. If it`s true, and you have the only `72 GTO conv, then you could pretty much set your own price!!
I would send the vin # into PHS and get the car documented, that will tell you for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for the reply. What's PHS? I just looked it up at the DMV. I'd like to restore it, but I don't know if I should. It's all matching numbers with the 455 HO. It doesn't have the original intake manifold or carb however. Do you think I should restore it?

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
The DMV is incorrect and I would bet your VIN identifies your car as a Lemans, the GTO option in 72 was listed as sales code 334 listed on the build sheet or the window sticker.

Pontiac Historical Services can furnish you with a copy of the original build sheet and window sticker for around $70.00.

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Hey, thanks for the reply. What's PHS? I just looked it up at the DMV. I'd like to restore it, but I don't know if I should. It's all matching numbers with the 455 HO. It doesn't have the original intake manifold or carb however. Do you think I should restore it?
If you don`t want to, I might! Even if it is just a LeMans. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts