Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I would like to put a side exit exhaust on my 1972 gto restoration.
the problem is no one sells a complete system except gardner
which is amost 2k to me thats very overpriced.
does anyone know if there is any other manufacturer of a side exit system for the 72?
pypes makes systems, but not side exit, and according to the guys at pypes
you cant cut the tailpipes, and make it work as the splitters will be in the wrong
location.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I knew at one time that Ames sold the tips for the 65 and 72,I would like to have those two. Right now I have trans am tips

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thanks for the reply, yes Ames sells the tips, Im talking the entire system, including the
tailpipes, and splitters.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Skid could you get the ends and have a good shop make the tail? Those ends exit right behind the rear tire would not be much of a tailpipe

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi, Thats the way I'm leaning, the problem is that id want it dead nuts.
I don't really know, if my local guys can do it. it prefer 2.5 stainless.
it looks like im going to have to get the header collectors, pipe, and mufflers from pypes.
then try to get the tailpipes made.if i had the tailpipe dimensions it would be much easier.
Thanks for the pictures. Would it be possible for you to email them to me at [email protected]? Id really appreciate it.

thanks

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Ok Skid sent the diagram,You might save more money by having the shop do it completely from the collector, just get the headers, mufflers, and splitters.I got the headman shorty headers because of the starter heat soak issues that comes with full length headers.If you place the splitters where they are supposed to go most good shops can make it happen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you for the Gardner price information. I was considering it but not at that price. A previous owner had our 72's exhaust welded together including the splitters. There are no leaks but the workmanship leaves a lot to be desired.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts