Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys maybe you can help me out with a little problem. I'm new to the board and just purchased a 1972 GTO. My question is the car will not go into passing gear. Is there an adjustment? The trans is a 400. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
There is a kickdown switch under the dash that is activated when pressing the gas pedal, the switch is wired to the transmission. Check the connections on both sides. More than likely the wire is unplugged from the transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a kickdown switch under the dash that is activated when pressing the gas pedal, the switch is wired to the transmission. Check the connections on both sides. More than likely the wire is unplugged from the transmission.
Thanks for the help. :cheers

·
Registered
451 Posts
As 05 stated, there is a switch on the gas pedal. Check and verify that there is power to the switch. Then, depress the switch manually with your finger and see if there is power "out" of the switch. Next, push the gas pedal to the floor and verify that the gas pedal actually trips the switch and makes power at the "out" terminal. Usually, the switch is out of adjustment, and will not close when the pedal is pushed to the floor. If this is the case, you have to re-set the switch. Do that as follows: Depress the switch plunger with your finger. When fully depressed, let the plunger flick off your finger nail so it pops up hard. This will hyperextend the plunger to its fully extended position. Once done, gently push the gas pedal to the floor to re-set the switch plunger position. Verify that the switch closes and produces power "out" with the pedal depressed to the floor. Finally, verify that there is power at the tranny connection when the pedal is pressed to the floor. If there is power at the tranny with the pedal on the floor and the kickdown is still not working, you have a bad solenoid in the tranny.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts