Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new guy to the forum here, and would like to pick the brains of the experienced Pontiac folk here. My best buddy has a 1972 Ventura II with the original Pontiac 350 engine. We had the engine out for a rebuild a few years ago; reinstalled with new motor mounts, purchased from carquest. Don't remember now if the part numbers were same or different, but the engine now sits higher on the driver side than the passenger side. Very noticable if you lean down and view the engine at eye level. We are in the process of fitting a 1974 GTO hood and shaker to this car, and are running into fitment problems, partially due to the engine sitting crooked, left to right. SO, my main question is: are the motor mounts different side to side for either 1972 Ventura and/or 1974 GTO? My thought is maybe the chinese carquest mounts were not made correctly, or boxed wrong. I do not have any part numbers, unfortunately. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated; Thank you!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Can't comment on this. But, if I recall correctly, I read an article on the Ventura with the Pontiac engine and it was offset to clear the steering column. If true, then my best guess would be that there are 2 different mounts as opposed to both being the same.

I did find this for the left side: 1964-74 Pontiac GTO Lemans Tempest V8 Engine To Frame Motor Mount Left Side NOS | eBay

And then there was this for the right side: 1964-74 Pontiac GTO Lemans Tempest V8 Engine To Frame Motor Mount Right Side NOS | eBay

These mounts say will fit the Ventura and they do have different part numbers. So you may want to inquire.

One of our members also said the subframe is the same as the Firebird and the Firebird mounts will work, but it may depend on the frame stands on the engine cradle that the engine mounts will bolt to.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Those mounts are the same , EXCEPT for the nut that is welded on.The welded nut is on the opposite end of the mount between the left and right sides. It is to accomodate installation of the through bolt that pins the mount to the frame pedestal.
I just put 2 new mounts in my 64 .
Other than that the mounts are symetrical. The difference in height is what Jim said first:
" the engine is offset to clear the steering column."

This is correct.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts