Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a running 1965 GTO with a 1973 455 motor with 62 heads and the '65 Tripower. there is only one belt on front of motor running alt. power steering, waterpump and balancer. balancer and water pump are double pulleys. I think it should have two belts but it doesn't line up for two belts. this is the only way pulleys line up. not sure what was used for pulley, brackets, pump. what should be used on this Frankenstein to be correct? thanks..

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Two ways to solve this & retain a '60's Pontiac V8 accessory look under the hood.

1) Run all '65 accessorys. a '65 8 bolt timing cover & 8 bolt pump, correct '65 WP & crank pulleys & '65-66 PS pump.
If car has manual strg, the '64-67 single groove WP pulley is the same. correct '65-66 manual strg crank pulleys are a little harder to find, but can be sourced. I have a pallet rack section devoted to Pontiac V8 pulleys, PS pumps, accessory brackets & understand which pulleys & PS pumps line up, & which wont't

2) 11 bolt Conversion set-up. I've been putting these together since the early 90's, have put together multiple dozens of changeovers. This conversion allows use of the later 11 bolt timing cover & one piece '68+ damper (these were used originally on your 455). The PS version of this conversion incorporates a '67-70 PS pump, alum mtg bracket, & PS pulley, along with the correct WP pulley & correct crank pulley to line up. This set-up uses the tall 11 bolt WP & '69 alt straps. For those with '65 or '66 Tripowers, I've previously had correct strap style alt brackets cut out, locally, with a water jet.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has an 11 bolt pump now so that is what I am going to use. not sure of power steering pump. I know its not a '65 pump. could be a '69 from looks of pulley. going with your second option what will I need. its just a power steering car. it was air but that has been removed.

·
Registered
680 Posts
somethins really jacked

one belt running alt and ps ?

thats krazzzeeeee

sounds like a 65 pump and a 4" early pump to get back far enuf to line up with the alternator ....

never seen that one ..... we neeeeed pics from front and side and top

and depth of your power steering pump fromgasket out to the pulley flange ... 4 or 4.5"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts