Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the moment i'm rebuilding my car, installing new quarter panels left and right and lower door skins, new weatherstripping, new carpet and removing rust at several places

I'm preparing my car for a respray but i still don't know which color.
I want it to look good with my beige interior.

The vinyl top is removed because it had some rust on the edges (under the moulding) but i'm thinking about not puttin it back

The car is valencia gold now but i'm thinking about painting it black or maybe blue.

Maybe you guys have some suggestions?:confused

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I am partial to Blue at the moment....mine goes in the booth on the 27th for a bahama blue mettalic skin, most colors will look ok with the tan interior its pretty neutral. I would re-finish the dash metal and faded plastic on the door panels to Match the exterior, and you already have nice blue carpet also i would do the plastic portion of your console to match, two tone would look nice. or black w/black carpet like they did the older parchment interiors. Just my two cents, have to be creative to do these projects on a budget and re-cycle your old parts.

1966 Tempest pictures by instg8ter - Photobucket

Brian

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Back in high school a guy had a '73 in black. It looked really sharp..... I had '72 with a tan interior and a black exterior. Guess you know my vote.......

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Orange? :lol:

A dark green metalic would look sharp, or a burgundy metalic.

That factory paint is pretty washed out but I bet it did'nt look too bad when it was new. A variation in a modern mix (Ford has a new gold color on trucks and stangs) would be easy to match for repairs.

Tan interior can really go with any color so your lucky. It could have had a nice avacado one. :rolleyes:

Just saw you were from the Netherlands, how long has that car been over there? Your fortunate to have such a solid complete car because I'll bet there are'nt too many of them around. Hell, they're pretty scarce here!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been a while..

Hi, it's been a while but here's a little update on my car.
Most of the paint is of (the quarterpanel has already been replaced by now)

View from the back

Inside

Inside with insulation

Now the left quarter panel needs to be welded and the the lower door skins
and some little areas near the taillights, i'll post some pictures of them soon..

But it was a bit more work then i thought, and you always find more rusty spots right?:lol:

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
:agree Black and Tan. Put a 455 in it and call it the "Rottwieller" :lol:.

Looks like you found a really nice restoration candidate, the dash looks flawless and floors look nice. I had a 73 Buick GS years ago, the colonade A body's are nice, solid feeling cars that handle pretty well considering their size. I always wanted a 77 Can Am, loved the shaker,stripes and rear spoiler on those cars.

Thanks for keeping us updated!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice!!!! The rottweiler!!

Yeah it's a pretty solid car and it's complete.
The dash has got a few cracks in it but that's allright, she 39 years old so...

I found this pic on the web, this is a nice example:)

But thanks for the tips!!

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Here's another tip.... don't put truck wheels on your car. Besides that the GTO in that pic looks super sexy. :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts