Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in General Discussions as well, but maybe I will get some more attention in here!
This is my first post on GTOForum, been lurking and reading for a bit now. I currently own a 91 Dodge Stealth RT/TT (Twin Turbo) and am getting ready to sell and move on to something new, even though I do love the Stealth. a GTO is near the top of my list, but would just like to get some general feedback on it from members here. I would most likely be buying an 04 because of cost issues, is this wise or is the 05-06 THAT much better? I know they have a larger engine and increased horsepower, but I don't really race anymore, and I might be OK with the 350HP (about what my stealth has now). Thanks for any advice and opinions!

Remy

·
Registered
850 Posts
First...Welcome! I'm sure you will find lots of helpful information here that will help you make a decision!:party:

As far as the answer to your question, I guess it would be a matter of preference. I own a 2006 GTO myself and I did that for a couple of reasons...

1) Engine size! I wanted the LS2 engine for the power!

2) Apperance...2004 did not have the hood scoops and the dual exhaust...I find that very attractive on the car!

3) Color...the spice red metallic is going to be a limited color and I fell in love with it the first time I saw it on the GTO.

4) 2006 is the last year for this car! I wanted to be a part of the history of this great car!

Ultimately, it really doesn't matter what year you get...you can't go wrong with the '04, it just depends on what you want! I promise you, which ever one you get, you will love it!:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
ZUMin3K said:
I posted this in General Discussions as well, but maybe I will get some more attention in here!
This is my first post on GTOForum, been lurking and reading for a bit now. I currently own a 91 Dodge Stealth RT/TT (Twin Turbo) and am getting ready to sell and move on to something new, even though I do love the Stealth. a GTO is near the top of my list, but would just like to get some general feedback on it from members here. I would most likely be buying an 04 because of cost issues, is this wise or is the 05-06 THAT much better? I know they have a larger engine and increased horsepower, but I don't really race anymore, and I might be OK with the 350HP (about what my stealth has now). Thanks for any advice and opinions!

Remy
Either way you're going to get a good car out of it. I'm not a HP junky so what would work for me may not work for you.

I test drove an 04 model before deciding on the new car. In every day driving the difference is not that great, but if you want the last few hundredth seconds off the quarter mile time you want the later version (or you could put some money into tweaking the LS1)

My own feeling (based on a limited test drive experience) is that perhaps the older cars were just a touch better balanced between power and suspension set up. There’s nothing wrong with the LS2 cars, but just sometimes you can feel that maybe the suspension could use a little tweaking to cope with the extra go – it squats a little more under power and seems to have a greater want to veer from the perfectly straight and narrow when you apply the right foot in earnest. The difference could be just the way the individual cars were set up rather than any superiority so test both and see what suits you.

Certainly, if you can save a few dollars on the purchase, then that will leave you a few dollars in the piggy bank for tuning and tweaking. Think about what you want from the car; is it to be an everyday driver, a weekend cruiser or competition car? Would you use the extra cash you save on the purchase price for engine mods or suspension or body work? Looking at local prices I see a 2004 model for about 22K and a new 06 will come in about 30K with a bit of haggling – could you use the extra 8K in a way that lets you set up the car the way you want it set up rather than living with what GMH built in the factory?

Remember that if you hot rod an LS1 you may match the power output of the later model in stock configuration but you probably will not get the incredible docility and tractability of the 6 litre engine for every day round town use – these cars are disgustingly easy to drive if you’re not pushing them. Everyday drivability may not matter if you just want it for weekend competition driving or taking to shows, but there are those that would rather live with fewer horses and be able to drive the thing every day.

·
Registered
436 Posts
i bought my 04 brand new in 9/04 its the barbados blue and has the 6 speed ,i like the way the car looks its like a sleeper it just blends in with all the other cars ,and i like the way the exhasut exits one one side its kind of smooth lookin.my 04 rides so smooth at high speeds ,ive heard that wheel hop is a promblem with the new model.i had no promblem with hop on the 04

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.