Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first ticket this weekend in the GTO. Driving through town doing absolutely nothing, got stopped by a sheriff. I was surprised when she stopped me and more surprised when she said "New York State law says it is illegal to modify your exhaust system." I hadn't even gone over 2000 rpm when leaving the light, so I was surprised. Thought that she might just be checking things, but came back and presented me with the ticket. I asked her how she knew that I had a modified system (not admitting I did, though) and she replied that she could hear it. I complimented her on the precision of her hearing and went on my way. I have an SLP loudmouth, but really didn't get on it at all, so I'm a little anoyed. Time will tell.....

·
Registered
304 Posts
Are you kidding me? If you don't mind me asking...about how much is a ticket for that? I could understand open headers and what not...but come on! What is this world coming to! :willy:

·
Registered
316 Posts
If I were you I would check on that, each state has its own set of laws, most of which are directed to the noise and emissions levels. I use to be a Cop and I can tell you from experiance that half the cops out there dont know there head from there ass and are usualy full of BS.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was told that it was an equipment violation, so no points on the license. Probably about $100 fine. The good part is that I can go to any repair shop, have them tighten the "loose" clamps and give me a receipt that says the exhaust system was "fixed". Sending this in with my ticket should resolve the whole issue without getting into the aspect that this whole thing was BS in the first place. I did call SLP and ask them if their systems were legal. Got a fax back that basically said they were emissions legal in all states and did have mufflers. Also stated that although louder than stock, they should be ok most places. Last paragraph stated that local jurisdictions might have different laws and SLP would not participate and/or represent customers in any litigation. I'm having the "loose" clamps "tightened" today and will have a receipt ready to send in with my ticket.

·
Registered
364 Posts
holiday weekend is a great time for tickets. Extra police on duty getting paid overtime so revenue must be made in the form of BS traffic tickets. They love giving out the no point tickets that are not worth fighting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got a letter from the town court this weekend - the judge dismissed the ticket. Done deal! Too bad it was such a pain in the butt for a bogus ticket.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really hard to say. In the car with the windows up, it doesn't sound very loud at all. Going through an underpass (especially with the windows down) you can hear it quite well. I've never heard someone else take off with the car (I'm the driver 99% of the time). The best bet is to find someone with the Loudmouth and listen yourself.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
toolman said:
Good deal, how loud is the SLP Loudmouth?
If you have a cell phone that can recieve video messages let me know!!! One of the techs has a loudmouth on his GTO!!!! I'll also give you a sound clip of mine (loudmouth & slp longtubes)!
Steve :cheers

·
Registered
202 Posts
GTODEALER said:
If you have a cell phone that can recieve video messages let me know!!! One of the techs has a loudmouth on his GTO!!!! I'll also give you a sound clip of mine (loudmouth & slp longtubes)!
Steve :cheers
cingular is my provider pn 3044886159, not sure if I can of not. Could you post a clip, I could pm you my ftp info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts