Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

New to the GTO but not to performance cars. I formerly raced in the ECIRS (East Coast Impala Race Series) http://www.ecirs.org/racerprofiles/30.htm
and had a blast at it. I hurt to let my modified Impala SS go... But everytime I look in the driveway and see my GTO I forget all about the Impala.

Anyway, this is the first rear drive car I have owned with IRS and I don't know if this is an issue or not but here it goes.

If the differential is hard mounted and the M6 is semi-hard mounted and I believe the motor mounts are pretty stiff, should the shifter bounce up and down when I am on a bumpy surface???

Secondly, I have read a bunch of posts about the the rear end being replaced and I think I have a similar problem. After I have been driving for more than 15 minutes and above 60 mph. If I push in the clutch, I hear rumbling sounds from the rear diff. almost sounds like a bunch of large ball-bearings rattling around. (closest description I could state)...

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
SStoGTO said:
Hi everyone.

New to the GTO but not to performance cars. I formerly raced in the ECIRS (East Coast Impala Race Series) http://www.ecirs.org/racerprofiles/30.htm
and had a blast at it. I hurt to let my modified Impala SS go... But everytime I look in the driveway and see my GTO I forget all about the Impala.

Anyway, this is the first rear drive car I have owned with IRS and I don't know if this is an issue or not but here it goes.

If the differential is hard mounted and the M6 is semi-hard mounted and I believe the motor mounts are pretty stiff, should the shifter bounce up and down when I am on a bumpy surface???

Secondly, I have read a bunch of posts about the the rear end being replaced and I think I have a similar problem. After I have been driving for more than 15 minutes and above 60 mph. If I push in the clutch, I hear rumbling sounds from the rear diff. almost sounds like a bunch of large ball-bearings rattling around. (closest description I could state)...
I know this is propably the most common response, but I would definitely take it to the dealer! It sounds like a couple of things but they should be under warranty, as for the shifter bouncing, mine only did that when it wheel hopped like an sob not on bumpy roads. I know the shifter is going to move a little, but unless I'm taking the way you said this wrong I would take it in as a warranty issue. :cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts