Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

After years of having her home I am going to start some work..

1.) Do you know if there is in fact a Neutral Safety Switch? The Ignition is setup for a key and push button start..obviously not right.... but I want to make it right. I replaced the switch and that didn't correct it. I was hoping there was some sort of neutral safety switch that maybe failing (column shift 3 speed) I briefly took a look around getting stung by wasps in the mean time :willy: .. (one reason i want to move it.) I didn't see anything but flipping through the original parts group magazine i saw one... maybe I am missing it.

2.) I am really starting to wonder if I should through a quadrajet back on?... Right now its got the 750 cfm edelbrock.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
711 Posts
There is a neutral safety switch from the factory. I admit I haven't had to deal with mine on my '67, but most GM vehicles of that era use a purple wire to a switch either on the column for a column shift car, or within the console on a floor shifted automatic. See if you can trace that and you should find a switch.

As far as the Quadrajet, if you still have the original and you're still running the spreadbore manifold, it is by far your best bet for performance and economy.

I'm not far from you, if you ever plan a trip up into the wine country with your car, shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thank you! Glad to hear there is a neutral safety switch. I will have to try checking it out this weekend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If there is an add on push button start switch, it probably has bypassed the neutral safety switch. The switch would be located on the clutch pedal under the dash. If the car is an automatic, it would be located in the steering column.

No matter where it's located, if has been removed or bypassed, you'll need to hook it back up. Perhaps it was bypassed because of some problem in the circuit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts