Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son just got a v6 mustang and when he shifts from reverse to drive it takes a while to kick in then when it does it slams pretty hard. If I change the tranny juice and filter would that help? I wanted to switch him over to synthetic.
The car was a gift so we can't trade it in yet.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Automatic tranny
100000 miles or so
Car was not very well maintained
I've heard stories of trannys not going back in gear after changing fluid and filter

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Changing the fluid and trans filter will make a world of difference. No guarentee it will solve the problem but it is the first thing I would do.

Also I belive I've heard that if you go too long between trans fluid changes, you can mess the seals up when you change it?!!?

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
:agree
Get it flushed, also I would put the recommended tranny fluid in there. Synthetic might do more harm than good. Also the problem is that its a FORD:)

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
That hard shift into gear is something you're probably going to have to get used to... unless you get the transmission pulled and adjusted/rebuilt.

I remember those 700R4s I was driving used to sound like Howitzers when shifting from R to D.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Im not sure it is related to your question but i just had a bad experience of flushing a ford 4 speed tranny out of a 98 crown vic with 110K. changing all the fluids and filters at a quick lube place. it worked great for a day, the next morning i drove off happy, but as soon as the car warmed up, the tranny died.. so if the car has questionable past service, you better take it to a pro, or leave it alone. or you'l be shelling out around $1000 to get it running again..
do some googling, youl find a bunch of folks with similar experiences.. it seems to be a concensus with the mechanics i asked as well.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
That hard shift into gear is something you're probably going to have to get used to... unless you get the transmission pulled and adjusted/rebuilt.
I've seen it when it didn't shift or hard shifting was because it was the nature of the tranny(700R4, ect.), low on fluid, old fluid and dirty filter.
I remember those 700R4s I was driving used to sound like Howitzers when shifting from R to D.
I remember those days, no matter what you did it allways did it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts