Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd ask everyone's perspective or opinion on the "Collector Car"
potential of the 2004-2006 GTO's. I certainly have my own opinion that
we are all lucky and priviledged to own these cars! I still peek at mine in the garage two or three times an evening. And Lord help me if my wife sends me out to the Laundry Room (connected to the garage) to get something for her. It takes me twenty minutes just to bring the towels in out of the dryer! :cool Anyway, while surfing the web here lately for GTO related news, etc (yes, I'm obsessed:) ). I've begun to see little tidbits about the "three year run" of these vehicles and the direction of Pontiac for 2009, blah, blah, blah. And though I don't remember where I saw it, at least a few times I've read about our cars as "sure to be/soon to be collector's vehicles". If you think about it, all the indicators are there: Limited production run; Not widely accepted (at the time); Not many produced; Superior value for the money, etc. Anyone have any ideas or comments? I'd like to hear your opinions... :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,100 Posts
Don't think they're going to go anywhere. Production's too high and the performance specs are too similar from vehicle to vehicle.

If there was, say, a factory installed LS7 engined GTO with less than 1000 built in one year -- then you're talking about potential value (like the Buick GNX vs. the Buick Grand National).

Your best hope is that they'll catch on in a couple of years -- as the old RWD Impala SSs did. They won't be worth a fortune -- but the resale will be good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
Don't think they're going to go anywhere. Production's too high and the performance specs are too similar from vehicle to vehicle.

If there was, say, a factory installed LS7 engined GTO with less than 1000 built in one year -- then you're talking about potential value (like the Buick GNX vs. the Buick Grand National).

Your best hope is that they'll catch on in a couple of years -- as the old RWD Impala SSs did. They won't be worth a fortune -- but the resale will be good.

IN 87 OVER 20,000 GN'S WERE BUILT AND THEY ARE COLLECTOR CARS THE DIFFERENCE WITH THE GNX IS ONLY 547 BUILT THERE WERE WAY MORE GN'S FROM 82 - 87 THAN 04-06 GTOS YES I DID SAY 82
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
I'm planning for a collector's item. Just like the old muscles, they were new once and no one thought much. Now people will pay $$ for one. Mainly the big bucks go to the stockers. That's why I haven't touched mine... yet. Damn temptation! :) It's a waiting game now until they really start to become rare... which could be a good 20-30 years. Who knows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Look at the camaro and firebirds. They have started to appreciate. I had a 98 SS with 27k on it. Paid $16.5k for it in 02. If I still had it, I could still get that much or more for it. I would give it about 3-5 years and the GTO will start to appriciate. The 1 year only colors will be worth a little more. I think what will make these cars become collectable is the fact that they are Aussie born and not like anything else out there. That's just my 2 cents. :cool
Charlie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
DJ Dannis said:
I'm planning for a collector's item. Just like the old muscles, they were new once and no one thought much. Now people will pay $$ for one. Mainly the big bucks go to the stockers. That's why I haven't touched mine... yet. Damn temptation! :) It's a waiting game now until they really start to become rare... which could be a good 20-30 years. Who knows.
Your money will still be better off in stocks and bonds. Even if the value doubles in 20 years you still have the costs of garaging and maintaining it. You can't just put it up on blocks and leave - fluids need to be changed whether you drive it or not and paint will still oxidise and rubber and plastic will perish. Insurance still needs to be paid

If you invest the same amount and get a conservative 7 percent return you will double your money in about 11 years with much less risk; at typicla market return of 10 percent it doubles in seven

Buying cars as collectors pieces as investments is just bunk unless you find a 1929 Bentley or a 32 Bugatti in a barn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Mad_Dan_Eccles said:
Your money will still be better off in stocks and bonds. Even if the value doubles in 20 years you still have the costs of garaging and maintaining it. You can't just put it up on blocks and leave - fluids need to be changed whether you drive it or not and paint will still oxidise and rubber and plastic will perish. Insurance still needs to be paid

If you invest the same amount and get a conservative 7 percent return you will double your money in about 11 years with much less risk; at typicla market return of 10 percent it doubles in seven

Buying cars as collectors pieces as investments is just bunk unless you find a 1929 Bentley or a 32 Bugatti in a barn
I think most people realize this. I believe the thought process is, have a high quality powerful muscle car, have fun with it, take care of it, and in the future, it will start appreciating. I don't think anyone truly believes from an investment stand point that our GTO's are a great return on the dollar. Besides, I have a lot more fun with my GTO than my mutual funds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
DAH GTO said:
I think most people realize this. I believe the thought process is, have a high quality powerful muscle car, have fun with it, take care of it, and in the future, it will start appreciating. I don't think anyone truly believes from an investment stand point that our GTO's are a great return on the dollar. Besides, I have a lot more fun with my GTO than my mutual funds.
There's no pint spending that sort of money on anything and not having fun. Wht I don't get are the people who won't drive it more than a few miles on a sunny summer afternoon because they think they will make a killing when it comes time to sell in 20 years despite the fact the value decreased by 25% the minute they signed the papers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
I agree with the other posts, don't buy a car as an investment. Buy it for fun. I still have my 1996 Imapla SS I bought new, and the value of the car has done well, however, discount off the value the fuel, insurance, maintanane and mods, and you are talking a major money loser, albeit, miles of smiles and smokey burnouts and many trips to the dragstrip!!!

Enjoy your vehicles, let your kids fight over the money when you are gone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
937 Posts
I am not one of these diaper polishing collectors. I bought my goat to drive it and I do it every day. Wouldnt have it any other way. When its old and worn out, I will buy another car and have a lot of good memories in this one for sure. My arse is an addict and I have to give it a fix as often as I can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
I am not one of these diaper polishing collectors. I bought my goat to drive it and I do it every day. Wouldnt have it any other way. When its old and worn out, I will buy another car and have a lot of good memories in this one for sure. My arse is an addict and I have to give it a fix as often as I can.
your lucky you live down south, you get to drive her all year long. I don't know what I'm going to do when I have to put her into the garage for the winter. doing mods to her will just want to ride her more. looking to put a maggie and a new clutch on, hope It's a mild winter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
For a car to be a collector, rare is only a small part of it. I have a Saab Sonnet, 1974. There weren't many of those made, but they have a weak following, so the car has not appreciated at all. In 10 years or so, lets see how many really exist in show room condition. Next, if anyone is interested in paying collector price. As one friend said, if you are going for collector cars, they aren't worth anything until you find someone willing to pay the price. Otherwise, always get a collector car that you would not mind driving for the rest of your life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Mad_Dan_Eccles said:
There's no pint spending that sort of money on anything and not having fun. Wht I don't get are the people who won't drive it more than a few miles on a sunny summer afternoon because they think they will make a killing when it comes time to sell in 20 years despite the fact the value decreased by 25% the minute they signed the papers.
This is hard for me to explain, but I'll try. This is the third car that I have babied like this. I love the fact that it has never seen rain or snow. The under carriage, engine bay, etc. are as clean as the rest of the car. I enjoy keeping it pristine as much as I enjoy driving it. I receive many comments on its cleanliness. Even though I have only 5400 miles on it, I do not feel bad that I am not driving the snot out of it. I bought this car for the long haul, however, the day may come where I trade it in for something like a Z06, who knows. In the mean time, it brings me personal satisfaction that it is so ridiculously clean and well taken care of. I did this same to a 1980 vette and sold it for what I paid for it after four years of owning it. I don’t know if I will ever recoup most of the costs on my GTO, but I don’t care, I love keeping it mint. And that in itself is my enjoyment as opposed to slogging it through the snow and rain, otherwise I feel like it would be just another car on the road. However, when I look at mine and see the wheel wells aren’t full of crud, it makes me smile. As they say; different strokes for different folks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DAH GTO said:
This is hard for me to explain, but I'll try. This is the third car that I have babied like this. I love the fact that it has never seen rain or snow. The under carriage, engine bay, etc. are as clean as the rest of the car. I enjoy keeping it pristine as much as I enjoy driving it. I receive many comments on its cleanliness. Even though I have only 5400 miles on it, I do not feel bad that I am not driving the snot out of it. I bought this car for the long haul, however, the day may come where I trade it in for something like a Z06, who knows. In the mean time, it brings me personal satisfaction that it is so ridiculously clean and well taken care of. I did this same to a 1980 vette and sold it for what I paid for it after four years of owning it. I don’t know if I will ever recoup most of the costs on my GTO, but I don’t care, I love keeping it mint. And that in itself is my enjoyment as opposed to slogging it through the snow and rain, otherwise I feel like it would be just another car on the road. However, when I look at mine and see the wheel wells aren’t full of crud, it makes me smile. As they say; different strokes for different folks.
:agree Well put my friend...Don't get me wrong guys, I do drive my car. But the difference is, I don't drive it to Walmart/Kmart, grocery stores, etc. I'll gladly hop in our Town & Country instead. I keep it in the garage
out of the weather, and as DAH GTO said, I like the fact that all those little places that tend to get dirty and stay dirty on a daily driver, are actually kept clean on my gto. This is only possible due to the down time between
drives where I get to go over it and keep it clean. I really don't care if it goes UP in value...And I did not purchase this car as an 'Investment', that
is not a smart thing to do...I just like the fact that it is very different than
the majority of vehicles on the road. So keeping it as 'new looking' as possible just makes me feel good! :cheers :D
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top