Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so once again im driving down 309 just minding my own business bout to go get some gas and i see this vette flying so i figure im about to get my ass kicked. of course he gets right next to me at about 50-55 and just stares me down and hes atleast 45 years old so i figure he thnks his car is the ****. he actually honks and we go and i slowly start to pull we shut it down at 120 at which point i was about 2 cars ahead. any you guys had fun ins with vette cuz i didnt think i had a chance

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Cool, my friend has a 2000 FRC ( Fixed roof coupe) corvette with DR's and full Borla exhaust system, we ran a couple times in every way, from a dig, 20 mph roll, 50 mph roll, even at about 75 on the freeway. I just couldnt get him.
Those things are way too light for me to catch. We were only neck to neck from a 10 mph roll all the way until about 3rd which is when he pulls about a car on me and the race goes on from there like that, and I'm driving an 06. Do you have any mods? Nice kill though!

·
Registered
55 Posts
i have already raced two new LS2 corvettes i just barly beat them buy a tire they were like where do i go to make my vette faster

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
yea i have flowmaster exhuast "not cats" typhoon intake mani fold (75mm) k&n intake and a predator tune
That would be a pretty fair race, your mods versus the Vette stock. You guys have equal HP before the mods and he is 400-500 lbs lighter. The weight issue is reduced to a small extent due to the roll start. Your mods probably got you a 30-35 hp bump.

Nice kill!!!!

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
i have already raced two new LS2 corvettes i just barly beat them buy a tire they were like where do i go to make my vette faster
I saw in your profile that you have a Magna Flow. You have either added mods since then or the driver mod is what the Vette guys really need to make their cars go faster.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I have both a 2001 C5 Vette and a 2006 GTO...exhaust and that's it for both of them ('02 Z06 air filter lid for the C5)...they both feel about the same to me...the extra weight of the GTO off set somewhat by the 50 extra horses and 35 lbs of TQ (give or take)
Bill

·
Registered
32 Posts
Both the 04 Goat and the C5 Vette stock have the same hp,so with your mods it would be a good run. What year did the GTO get the LS2 engine? If GM would put the GTO on a diet that would be one hell of a ride.I have never driven a newer GTO,but have owned one many years ago, it it was my first really high performance car.Back then the GTO was up against 396 Chevells,442's and anything else that was out there. BTW,Nice kill

·
Registered
307 Posts
so once again im driving down 309 just minding my own business bout to go get some gas and i see this vette flying so i figure im about to get my ass kicked. of course he gets right next to me at about 50-55 and just stares me down and hes atleast 45 years old so i figure he thnks his car is the ****. he actually honks and we go and i slowly start to pull we shut it down at 120 at which point i was about 2 cars ahead. any you guys had fun ins with vette cuz i didnt think i had a chance
Are you from PA? If so, what part of 309 were you racing on? Either way, nice kill.

·
Registered
137 Posts

I take that your fairly modded otherwise you beat a terrible, terrible driver.

And not to offend anyone but the OP race seems a little odd. I owned two LS1 F-Bodies and even when lightly modded equal to the OP's GTO I still had problems with C5's. Unless they were A4 and I could catch them at just the right speed then I had them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts