Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,I bought a 2004 GTO and the trunk dont have any lift supports did they come this way or did someone just take them off . I dont like how the trunk slams down very hard I see that trunk lift supports are available for the GTO but not sure how they mount any help or pictures would be appreciated.

Allen
Cincinnati,ohio

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am pretty sure they did have a pair of Lift support struts on the trunk of the 2004, just like my 2006 GTO does. Do a search on Rock Auto and you will see they list the parts for this too.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
The strut supports at the hinges aid in the opening of the trunk but not in the closing of it.
When opening the trunk it aids in the weight of the trunk and will self open once its nearly opened the entire way but the struts do not aid in closing the trunk, it will slam shut if not careful. Mine will slam shut if let go of the trunk.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't refer to them as lift supports. More like lift assists. There are about 1/3 of the length of the ones on our C300 which actually do lift the trunk when you press the release button on the fob. The GM part number is 92161990.
I'll bet your car does have them. They're mounted on the trunk hinges, and pretty easy to overlook because of their location.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
Mine has never worked since new then either. I did unscrew the bumpers a bit which helps the truck "pop" open when pushing the release button.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
All this talk about struts made me go out and check mine. I guess they're okay since mine eases down like the ones in the video. Don't really spend much time in the trunk.......

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Aftermarket. You know what they say, a watched pot never boils. It may have just been a slow degradation over the years that went unnoticed.
Aftermarket is what I thought.
From factory these things slammed shut then. I know of no one what had one operate like the aftermarket. Maybe some will chime in that had one from factory not slam shut.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I'm the second owner of mine. Pehaps the PO replaced them and that's why they work. I've had it for almost 5 years now. They could be aftermarket; I'll check tomorrow.

·
Registered
282 Posts
When I replaced mine, one of mine showed obvious signs of leakage. When you do replace yours, it's helpful to have another person hold the trunk up. That steel trunk is heavier than it looks and is liable to cause dismemberment. Don't attempt while naked. Same thing with hood struts.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I have a telescoping bar I use for just such a purpose.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts