Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it totally sucks thats my issue . i just traded in my 03 gtp with the bose set up that totally blows this away . any suggestions on some simple upgrading of somekind. and yes the amps due shut down so annoying . help

·
Registered
160 Posts
as far as the amps shutting down...there's an audio distortion limiter in the computer. you'll have to scroll thru the menu and find it and turn it off. mine did the same thing until i figured out how to turn the *#&$ thing off. as far as the stereo itself, i've never listened to the Bose, but I had the Monsoon stereo in the grand am i had before i got my goat. And this one blows that one away... :shutme

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have not listened to the stereo that much,To busy listening to the motor :)
My first impression is that sounds pretty good,my vette has a blose, now that sucks! plus you can probably change the stereo head unit down the line, the blose requires removing every component because blose is not compatible with anything! You should be thankful !

Robert

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the bose in my gtp was incredible 2 subs and six speakers and 2 tweeters . it was ver clear now i know about the amp problem with the distortion level but that keeps the cd from cranking its juice . the distortion level just keeps the amps from working it lowers the volume not the distortion

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try the following

I am really into high quality sound and I actually found that our 04 Goat has a pretty decent sound system, sufficient that I would not change it.

I can get ours to sing by taking the distortion setting off and then changing the EQ to rock and changing the boost to a minus 2.

Give a try and tell me what you think. It may also depend on what you listen to. We are big into Coldplay and the like and it sounds great...we are very pleased.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tried it again

played with the stereo some more its gotten to be decent just not enough punch in the woofer dept like my 03 gtp had other than that its ok and i listen to judas priest alot if that helps just trying to find a good volume where it cranks and doesnt cut out on me

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just got here, and I'm sorry about taking such a cheap shot already, but....

The stereo in this car must be miraculous if it can make Coldplay sound good!

I may have to help mine out somehow. I'm going to be splitting time with my wife on the GTO and my Suzuki Aerio SX, (different, huh?), on which I performed extensive stereo surgery. Great Orion comp set up front, some little Infinity Kappas in back, built a sub into the cargo floor, two solid Cadence amps, and an eq - sounds great.

How about replacing the stock amp and subs with a regular full range amp and some coaxials in the parcel shelf, then tucking an Infinity Basslink somewhere? I'm guessing the stock amp is pretty small, is there much room there? Power and ground ok?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not to be mean but were I used to work in car audio we always said "No high, No Lows must be Bose"

My old Riviera had a full Kenwood Excelon setup and I do miss the MP3, but the Goat has some of the best sound out of a stock setup. Even comparing that to the Mustang Shaker 1000 (supposedly 1000 watts - overated just like their engines).

This car is supposed to have a seperated amp behind the rear seats had anyone checked to see if this is true?

·
Registered
16 Posts
does anyone have a problem with the cd player? specifically, does anyone who makes their own cd mixes have a problem playing them in their gto?

i can get my gto to play a burned cd past track 4 or 5. i haven't tried to play an original cd, because i haven't purchased one in maybe 7 or 8 years.

if it's just mine, i need to get it checked out. thanks.

·
Registered
386 Posts
skibum100_777 said:
does anyone have a problem with the cd player? specifically, does anyone who makes their own cd mixes have a problem playing them in their gto?

i can get my gto to play a burned cd past track 4 or 5. i haven't tried to play an original cd, because i haven't purchased one in maybe 7 or 8 years.

Don't burn your CDs at speeds greater than 8-16X. That is the solution to this problem with lots of CD players. And I know for a fact it works on the stock Blaupunkt player.

·
Registered
16 Posts
djdub said:
Don't burn your CDs at speeds greater than 8-16X. That is the solution to this problem with lots of CD players. And I know for a fact it works on the stock Blaupunkt player.
i'll give it a shot, but i think i already tried the slowest write setting on mine. maybe i can find someone that has a slower burner. if i can test a cd that was burned more slowly and it works, i'm sure i can purchase a slower burner for cheap.

thanks dub.

·
Registered
16 Posts
fffernan said:
My Stratus R/T's Infinity system sounded way better than the GTO's. The bass has no rumble in the GTO and the highs are kind of bland.

-Frank
i had a stratus r/t as well, and i agree with you. i think the better highs in the r/t (especially in the front seats) are because of the tweeters located right inside the door by the sideview mirrors???

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is there a way to get the EQ setting to store with a preset station? I listen to a talk show on one station in the morning, and want that on vocal, but when I change to the alternative station for the rest of my driving, I'd like that to always come in Rock.

·
0 Posts
i pulled my factory stereo out got the install kit put in a alpine 9833 in changed all the speakers to alpine amp'd them all and put in a custom box for 3 jl audio speakers and put a us600 amp in it pounds :party:

·
Banned
27 Posts
I also found out my GTO is allergic to burned CD, it will played them in the beginning, then it sort of start to skip...it does not occur with original CD's.

Saludos!

·
Registered
47 Posts
skibum100_777 said:

I use burned cds all the time.I burn them work and at home , both work fine in my car.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Good info here thanks. I have been listening with distortion control *on*, I didn't know it reduced volume. I hate distortion it sounds aweful but I do like it loud! I also made a custom CD in a hurry for New Years and it skips all over the place. I burned it at 16x though and thought I was going to be limited to original CD's. I'll try some other CD's burned at 4x and see if it helps. My CDR's skip the worst at the beggining also which is of course where I usually put the best song. Doh! I'm not gonna go crazy on the sound system of this car, like someone else said the sound of the engine is music to me especially with the SLP intake/exhaust plus all that stereo add on stuff adds weight to an already bloated car :cool

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have any of you done the amp mod in the trunk? You can turn it up another notch or two.

Second, on the burned CD's. I had this problem in my Grand Am and Envoy a few times. One thing I did wrong, maybe you guys aren't, but I was burning the songs at a higher speed than what the CD's were made for. For instance, I was burning at 32x when I only had 24x CD's. I burned myself a CD for the new goat last week and I burned it at 52x with 52x CD's. It plays perfectly.

On the same issue I'd also try and burn them with a different program. I used Nero 6.0 this time and the CD sounds perfect.

Gene

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi Gene,

Can you elaborate a little more on this "turn it up another notch or two" on the amp and how it is done?

Bigger better faster more is my way so tell us how we can turn it up!

:party:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts