Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my new 2005 gto in july of 05 .The day I drove it off the lot 2 blocks down the road the engine light came on so I turned around and took it into service. Im thinking this is just my luck :willy: I was told the knock sensor went out and they are not sure when it will be in" it is on a national back order and could be out for 2 weeks". I was not sure what to say But.... anyway they put me into a nice v6 grand am.lol So 3 weeks go by and nothing and on the 4 week they got it put it in and I was ready to go. I went down tho pick up my car got drove off the lot and not 2 blocks away the engine light came back on... so this time I called, this time and they told me to bring it back tomorrow so I did, I waited this time , they told me the knock sensor went out again. By this time I know the 3 week wait.... so I cant wait to see what car I get now they put me in a trailblazer lol...I was not happy what soever. Waiting and waiting 4-5 weeks go by and know car. They called told me my car was ready. No problems off the lot was running great just when I said great I here a really bad pop hard to explained kind of like a 1970 chey throughing a rod it was bad reel bad I pulled over and called the dealer they told my to call GM roadside.I got to the dealer they were shocked they had never heard nothing like that out any new car. They told me they would take it apart and give me a call. 3 days go by and I get a call They told me I had spun 3 bearings and it had no oil. I was stumped and so were they.. They told me that GM was not going to give me a new motor and they were going to rebuild it.......... I was so pissed off I called everone I thought could help and I found out that was NO ONE....So the dealer ordered $7000 In new parts that took forever to get all thoes in. So I get a call from the dealer they told me that they had started putting the motor back together and they had a problem, a problem I asked.... Yes they were putting the crank bearings in when they noticed that the caps had bad groves and they were not going to be able to put it together. They call Gm and told them and they sent out a NEW crate motor got here in a week... I get a call and they told me mty car was ready.... wentg down to pick it up.... drove 2 blocks and the ENGINE light came on WHAT THE ****>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

G

·
The car is a lemon, give it back, you have had 3 problems of the same thing happen. By federal law, you can give it back and get another one.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Dealer advice

I agree with Big Mike. The vehicle is abviously a lemon. The example you just gave is the perfect reason why the lemon law is in affect. You have had mechanics pouring over your car for months now and the problem still occurs. Sometimes you cannot win those battles. That is when you (and the dealership) need to cut your losses. The lemon law is the perfect way for you(and the dealership) to get out of that vehicle.

The BBB is not the way to handle this case, nor the attorney general. It is not the fault of the dealership. It sounds like they are trying everything they can. If you did file a complaint, then it would only hurt the dealership that was (it sounded to me anyways) legitimately trying to help you.

·
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ
202 Posts
:agree I agree as well! But be for-warned, they are many hoops and hurdles you wil deal with! I went thru it with a Mustang GT. Plan to go to the hearing, if it goes that far so you can support your case, if you don't, their decision will be based on paperwork only, and what the dealership goes in with. Sorry to hear of your troubles, but wish you all the best with you car!:cheers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Knock Sensor

I took my car back to the dealer and they said that the knock sensor wire burn out.. not sure about this knock sensor has anyone had this problem? (with the wire or the knock sensor)

G

·
a wire is not a light bulb, it doesnt burn out. It either works, or burns UP. Its up to you if you want to continue but if it was me, I would take it back to them, talk to the general manager and tell him you are leaving the vehicle there, and they will be hearing from your attorney as you are giving it back under the Lemon Law.

Go here:

http://www.dr.bbb.org/autoline/lemonlaw.asp

Click in the middle, choose your state, print out the PDF file.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If ya haven't contacted GM yet give them a call and tell them ya story, my dad bought a 1991 Chevy Silverado back in late 1990 4 years later the transmission goes out with only 14k miles on it the dealer wanted $2500 for a replacement dad calls GM tells them the story, so GM sent a tow truck so the truck to could be sent to another dealer and gone over and mileage proven and all this stuff, long story short, GM put a new trans in for a $100 ductable even though the warranty expired a year prior! It would surprise me if they didn't work something out with ya, but then again that was 10 years ago! The lemon law would be the last step I would take, it could be a year or more before a court date could be set up

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the car has 3000 miles on the new motor and I have burned through 2 Qts gm says that agresive driving will burn 1 qt every 1500 mile on I am on board .putting the $69.79 down for the oil change and 2 more qts for the road thats at 6.99 qt at auto zone $80 some dollars. This is bull**** this is GTO is burning too much oil but, GM says it is within the range. oh ya GM were the ones that said not to put synthic in for at least 7000 miles and now thay ship the cars with it in it. What the hell.........:willy: :willy: :willy: :willy:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Write, a letter, on pen and paper, and snail mail it to GM, and point out on it a CC: to file (so it looks like you might take legal action).

I had good luck doing this as I blew my motor on my '99 GTP at 38,000 miles and some change. At first the dealership quoted me a complete engine and supercharger replacement (around $6,500). :mad: I wrote a letter, and two weeks later GM covered it all, even my rental. They even put a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty on the work.

Paper letters move mountains :D

Athough there might be some truth to the burning oil if you beat on your car CONSTANTLY. I took a road trip from MN to MI one time with the GTP. I never went under 90mph the whole trip and I burned up about a quart and a half when I got there.

·
Registered
674 Posts
i bought a buick somerset from a co worker ten years ago. the car was a year out of warranty but had very low miles. gm had just done a motor rebuild.

it burned a quart every 700 miles. the dealer told me to drive it six or eight months. i did. when i brought it back to them to say it was still burning oil they told me tough, it was out of the 12k warranty.

i was fuming and wrote a letter to the uaw and gm. they replaced the motor. i drove the car one day with the new motor and sold it to a friend who sold it to another friends son. while my friend parked the car on the streets of NYC I was driving an acura, and swore of GM for seven years.

·
Registered
304 Posts
We're going through legal actions now to get GM to buy back our four month old Caddy CTS. It has been a real battle, let me tell you. I tried calling GM and all I got was an offer for a few free oil changes if we decided to keep the car.........total joke IMO. Anyway I can refer you to our law firm. They are licensed in many states but I don't know about yours.

JET

·
Registered
9 Posts
My father has been a GM service manager for 30 years. I had him read your concerns, and here is what he had to say:

"The first thing you need to do is contact General Motors, the phone number is in your owners manual. Have your VIN ready, you will talk to a customer relations manager and they will open up a case. Request to have a meeting with your dealerships Area Service Manager. This is the dealerships direct contact with General Motors. In most cases, this person is very reasonable when it comes to service issues. He/she has the authority to repurchase your vechicle if they fill your case warrants it. They can also do other things for you, such as: compensate your for down time by reembursing some of your car payments. They can also extend your warranty, in most cases they will double it. This is what you need to do so that you have the opportunity to negotiate. If you cannot get any where with this, contact your local Better Business Bureau. Every state has different laws when it comes to the Lemon Law. Most states will apply the Lemon Law when your vehicle has down time exceeding 30 days. It can be associated to one or multiple problems. Also, most states offer arbitration hearings. These typically are only binding to the manufacturer. For instance, if the arbitrator ruled in your favor to have GM repurchase your vehicle, they would have to do it. But, say the arbitrator ruled against you, you can still get an attorney and sue General Motors. The nice thing about the arbitration process is that it costs you nothing and you can usually have a hearing within 1 month. In all his years working with General Motors, 100% of the time he finds General Motors to be very fair and concerned about the customers. The goal is to have repeat buyers. He would be very surprised if your outcome was unfavorable, if you follow these processes. It will take a little time, but in the end it will be worth it. He has helped many customers over the years with this same sort of problem, and GM has always made it right."

I hope this helps. Good luck! Definately let us know how things turn out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
big_mike said:
The car is a lemon, give it back, you have had 3 problems of the same thing happen. By federal law, you can give it back and get another one.
:agree
I almost went through that with my Bad tranny, then I slaped the dealer with a bad service report and they replaced the whole tranny free of charge.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.