Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if you have been able to purchase a CAI for your 2005 GTO?

I just received one from parts&accesories.com who originally advertised it on their web site as being for the 2005 6.0L however when it came in it was for the 2004 5.7L. I went back to the website today and they no longer list it for the 2005 6.0L?? They will let me return it which is great but what I really want is the proper CAI for my car.

This CAI was made by AEM and they told me today they don't have one yet but keep checking back.

Thanks!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Sure, you can get a K&N now, or a Lingenfelter (if I spelled that right) for the 6L LS2. Oh, and be careful. You may want to read the posts here about the LS2 with a CAI. Some have experienced engine problems (performance/tune) after installing them. I am going to wait until I can get a tuner on it before I attempt mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply JMVorbeck!

I was just checking out the Lingenfelter CAI before seeing your post.

I have read some of the posts in here about issues related to CAI and most appear to be related to heat? The Lingenfelter CAI appears to be relatively sealed from engine bay heat which should alleviate most of this problem.

What other issues have you heard of or seen?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks LS2Fast...I'm writting an email to Lingenfelter to see if they have any useful information to add.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Wide Open said:
Thanks for the reply JMVorbeck!

I was just checking out the Lingenfelter CAI before seeing your post.

I have read some of the posts in here about issues related to CAI and most appear to be related to heat? The Lingenfelter CAI appears to be relatively sealed from engine bay heat which should alleviate most of this problem.

What other issues have you heard of or seen?
Well, they are all posted here just do a search for "CAI". Some others have had a problem with the engine running too rich and some power degredation. I do agree that the Lingenfelter looks like the nicest design with the full box and hood seal. Its the one I want. LS2FAST seems to be having no trouble. Just read through the threads, it scared me off until the tuners are available.

·
Registered
937 Posts
LS2FAST said:
Lingenfelter direct. Here is the link.

Lingenfelter 2005 CAI
Thanks. Funny, both you, and the photo on thier site have the rail covers off. 2 ?'s..
1. You have had NO problems at all with yours?
2. Can you hear a difference when driving with the Lingenfelter? I am talking about the good ol 4 barrel "MOWWWWWW" when you open the throttle?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guy's I am almost sold on the Lingenfelter unit. I will most likely order one this week. I am glad the AEM unit was wrong now that I've spoken with you.

I'll let you know what kind of response I get on my email from Lingenfelter.

·
Registered
259 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
Thanks. Funny, both you, and the photo on thier site have the rail covers off. 2 ?'s..
1. You have had NO problems at all with yours?
2. Can you hear a difference when driving with the Lingenfelter? I am talking about the good ol 4 barrel "MOWWWWWW" when you open the throttle?
1. Absolutely no problems. However, I reversed the screws on the cold air box so the filter goes on better. (lingenfelter has them installed from the outside of the box).
2. I hear a difference, but I would not say the ole' 4-barrel sound. but it does sound good. However, the performance is better -- thats what I want :cool

·
Registered
259 Posts
Oh and by the way... removing the fuel rail covers WILL increase your performance slightly, as the fuel rail covers DO trap heat on the engine. I also removed the plugs in the hood to release heat from the engine.

·
Registered
937 Posts
LS2FAST said:
1. Absolutely no problems. However, I reversed the screws on the cold air box so the filter goes on better. (lingenfelter has them installed from the outside of the box).
2. I hear a difference, but I would not say the ole' 4-barrel sound. but it does sound good. However, the performance is better -- thats what I want :cool
Awesome. Thank you, On your word I think I am going to go ahead and order one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Further investigation in the Lingenfelter website shows some pretty impressive performance packages. Pretty pricey but impressive!

·
Registered
222 Posts
LS2FAST said:
Pretty nice endorsement... Looks like top unit of whats available today. I am still waiting for an 05 tuner before I head into mods under hood. Read somewhere that just a "dyno tune" on a stock LS2 had a noticeable outcome (but with a $450 cost and of course finding a trustworthy shop).

Also the idea of using the hood in a ram air concept crossed my list. But looks like the engine mods everyone likes are : CAI ; headers-xpipe-catbacks ; 160 stat ; and a tune. Followed by Heads and cam. And now that I've seen those 18" VZ Monaros from JHP are available they also get added to the list.

It's not cubic inches but cubic dollars that fuels the addiction...
:)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yeah, I keep thinking about the LT Headers but they are quite pricey for only a 16 RWHP gain. I think after I get my DIABLO PREDATOR Tuner my mod focus will go towards the suspension.

2005 GTO PREDATOR TUNER NOW AVAILABLE

The Predator is only $399.00 and takes care of the TQ Management problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The lingenfelter sounds nice, ive had no problems

LS2Fast..how did you pull the plugs out?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
LS2Fast..how did you pull the plugs out?[/QUOTE]

They are just rubber "gaskets" that are put into the scoops. Open the hood and grab an edge of one. Then lightly pull and twist and they come right out. That and the fuel rail cover removal will lower engine temps a few degrees, and let it cool more quickly if it gets some higher temps from sitting in traffic or such. The fuel rail covers just pop up and off. Lift up on one real easy starting from a corner. Do not take them off when the engine is hot. they scratch real easy then.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the K&N CAI and at this time I cannot recommend it to anyone. I've had a problem with it since day one. After installing the CAI, everytime I run my a/c with the fan turned on past the #2 setting the car wants to bog down at idle. VERY ANNOYING! I've tried everything in the world, me or anyone else can think of to correct it and still nothing! With that said there are some people with the same CAI on 05's not having problems and some are. :confused

As far as the heat soak problems, I have done several things that help.
1. Modify scoop plugs to push air directly on engine. (use "search" for pics)
2. Remove fuel rail covers.
3. Remove rear weather stripping under hood to allow heat to be pushed out.
4. Install 160 degree t'stat
5. Water Wetter by Red Line.

Hope some of this helps! :cheers

1 - 20 of 43 Posts