Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
pssst, LSX series motors don't have chips you can change. It's either a handheld tuner, a custom ordered PSU replacement, or a custom dyno tune. Latter is better.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I bought the Predator and for now have only installed their standard performance tune. It was easy to program and I have been happy with the seat of the pants improvement. Also, I was able to get rid of the CAGS 1-4 shift crap. Only other mods are Lingenfelter CAI and Underdrive Pulley.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info. a friend of mine who likes to talk out of his ass was quoting some ridiculuos numbers for a new programmer / chip he said was out for the gto. i've always felt they were a waste of time. i'd personally rather just start opening up the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I got a custom tune and I love it, the only down fall is if i ever want anything down again I will need a retune
Isn't there a way to save the stock tune? In case you need it for emissions tests? Or maybe a way to save several tunes so that you can compare them?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Isn't there a way to save the stock tune? In case you need it for emissions tests? Or maybe a way to save several tunes so that you can compare them?
Yep, buy HP Tuners and do your own tuning.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
They are good for starting out, will give you some gains for basic mods. If you have big plans in the near future I would hold off.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
How do the HP Tuners credits work? If I bought it I'd want to use it on my Grand Am too.
Mine came with I think 8 or 8 credits. Each car costs 2 credits. You buy more credits from their website if you run out. You can alsu buy unlimited tuning for a specific make model and year for a certain amout(for tuning shops mostly).

Its great software. Easy to use once you hit the learning curve, and their forum has great info on it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine came with I think 8 or 8 credits. Each car costs 2 credits. You buy more credits from their website if you run out. You can alsu buy unlimited tuning for a specific make model and year for a certain amout(for tuning shops mostly).

Its great software. Easy to use once you hit the learning curve, and their forum has great info on it.
How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking? Also, do you run it from a laptop? How does it interface with the ECU? Does the software come with an I/O cable? Forgive my ignorance but this is something I would not mind learning about since I work with computers. Thanks.
:cheers

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
HP Tuners come with an OBDII cable (that plugs into your car), a little interface box (the "Pro" version can log and store it in the interface without your laptop. very handy), a cable that connects from the interface to your laptop and software for logging and flashing the tune into your car. to properly tune it you also need a wideband O2 controller like the Innovate LC-1. i've done all my tuning on the street and at the track. i started out knowing nothing about it and learned it in a very short amount of time. the most time consuming part is driving around at various loads and RPMs all the way to WOT (i know. flooring it and going fast is a chore :D) and then copying air/fuel ratio errors and copy and "special" pasting them to your VE table and then repeating to you MAF table if you choose to run with a MAF. bump the timing tables, log for spark knock, make minor corrections and that the basics and more than you'll get at a "pro" tune at most places. you can also disable CAGS, bump the speed limiter, RPM limiter, adjust the speedo for different tires and 400 other things if you have the need. the "Pro" version is about $650 and the LC-1 is about $200. you can sometimes find deals to save a little. my car runs very strong and the cool thing is every little mod i've done has been easy to tweak the tune to accommodate. oh yeah, you can pull "check engine light" codes too.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
I was looking at Predator's and Quadzillas and Superchip Cortex's. Does anyone have a suggestion for which I should buy, and is it worth the three or four hundred bucks? I have an 05 6.0 ls2.
if you just want a generic tune and don't plan on doing any significant modding a handheld is fine. if you want the most out of your car or a cam or such is down the road get a full featured suite like HP Tuners or EFIlive

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.