Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a fair amount of research on how to increase HP significantly and decided to go with a supercharger.
Here is what I will sign off on Sat unless I hear a better solution from the crowd. Appreciate as much feedback as possible. Love the 2005 GTO and I don't want to screw it up.
- ATI Procharger Tuner Kit
- Unichip Q series Piggy Back Module
- Unichip turbo module
- 42 lb Bosch injectors
- 160 degree thermostat
- Spec Stage 3 Clutch.

I would appreciate feedback especially on the clutch since there are so mancy to choose from. I want drivability but I need something that is going to handle the additional wear and tear. This is rated up to 600 hp at the wheel. Am I better off with the stage 2 (better driveability but rated at 475 rhp). i know everyone is going to ask so the entire package including tuning, dyno etc is around $9,500.

I there anything I'm missing? Bottlenecks that I'm not addressing?
Phase 2 will be some sort of catback or y pipes, suspension??

G

·
tires! you didnt account for tires. And the rearend will need some beefing up. Add another 3k to your price and you will be set.

·
Registered
46 Posts
$9500 for that seems high to me, but I could be wrong. You have to take all things into account, the stock rear will not last forever with that power, and then if you get sticky tires your really gonna shorten its life. I don't see fuel pump in there anywhere either? If it were me and I was gonna boost my gto, I would seriously consider a different set of heads and thicker head gaskets to lower the compression ratio, its not very boost friendly at 10.9:1

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cost + Tire question

I don't have my price list in front of me so I'll estimate
Pro-charger is around $4,800
Installation is $1,400

42 lb bosch injectors: $500
Install; can remember lets say around $300

Clutch: $650
Install: $300

Unichip piggy back: $500
Install: $250

Tuning and dyno testing: $500
+ tax
I know I'm missing a couple things + I estimating but this a very rough idea
Adds up quick. Definitely tires are next.
I think I have the stock tires 245 45 17,
What would be the best tire and size for takeoffs but also does ok on streets.
How about BFG Drag Radials>

·
Registered
700 Posts
No matter which supercharger you go with, GET A GOOD DYNO TUNE WITH AN O2 SENSOR!!! Don't touch it, don't drive it, don't even look at it until it's tuned PROPERLY.
I know that sounds rather crazy, and a bit paranoid, but if you plan on having an engine that lasts for any significant amount of time, tuning is of the utmost importance.
As a side note, I'd go with the Roots blower too, you'll be much happier with your purchase. Low end torque is a ton of fun. We had a HUGE debate about this in another thread, so I won't rehash that, but there are certainly advantages to having a roots/twin-screw over a centrifugal according to some people. :)
Good Luck with whatever you decide, and most importantly, have FUN with it!

·
Registered
700 Posts
I say that from personal experience. If nobody ever listens to anything else I say, please listen to the tuning thing. I cannot express just HOW important that is. Especially with an engine that already has a high compression rate. Without a proper tune, your engine WILL NOT last long.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it. Definitely a good tune and excellent tires a must. Looks like I'm going with the 275 40 17 Nitto's. Thanks Big Mike.

The Procharger was recommended to me because it is is a self contained unit, a decent track record and a lot of mid to High HP (plus it's available). My guy said that the 2005 already have a ton of low end Torque.

I will let everyone know how eveything works out. I'm guessing somewhere between 480 and 500hp at the wheel.

G

·
your estimate is right, and your welcome on the tires.

You wont be disappointed with the ProCharger. NOT AT ALL !!!

Just dont get greedy and try to up the boost. :D

·
Registered
700 Posts
Most of the roots are also self-contained as well, they don't make you tap the oil pan or anything, they're completely self-oiled and everything.
The cool thing about roots/ts is that you have about 80% of your total boost available at 2200rpm. With a centrifugal, you won't have that kind of boost until MUCH higher RPMs, probably over 5000.
I'm sure you'll be happy with either, you'll gain a ton of power with either one. It all comes down to WHERE you want to gain the power in the RPM range. I, personally, wouldn't use a centrifugal on anything other than a pure race-car because 90% of the time, you're going to be BELOW the effective boost range of the centrifugal. I like the boost to be there whenever I want it. However, others are quite different and they like very little additional boost down low and mid rpm, but a ton of boost at high RPMs, which makes a centrifugal perfect. I just don't like to see someone put a centrifugal on a street car because within weeks of getting it put on, they'll be thinking of a new pulley so that they can lower their RPM where the boost starts, and create more boost up high...that's where they run into a load of problems. If you even THINK you might want additional low-rpm torque/horsepower, I suggest waiting for the roots/twin-screw or reading up a bit more to make sure you're doing the right thing. If you don't care much about low-mid RPM boost, then go for the centrifugal, you'll be happy w/it.
This is a big purchase and it requires a LOT of reading/learning to make sure that you get the proper unit for what YOU want to do with the car. Don't let someone else (including me) make that decision for ya. ;)

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.