Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the largest tires that I can fit on my 17" stock wheels without having rubbing problems? Currently I have 245/45R17 on and would like to upgrade to a larger tire without purchasing new wheels.

thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think most people just put on wider tires on the rear...they are 275/40/17 I believe..Nitto 555s. Those apparently will fit on the stock wheels....the other brands from what people have said on here require wider wheels.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yellow6.0 said:
If I go with a 265 rear tire, should I go with a 40 or 45 aspect ratio? I imagine if others are getting 275's on 265's should fit without rolling the fenders, right?
what size rim you got?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wolf12 said:
What are the largest tires that I can fit on my 17" stock wheels without having rubbing problems? Currently I have 245/45R17 on and would like to upgrade to a larger tire without purchasing new wheels.

thanks for the responses.
245s are the widest you can fit on the stock 8" wide rims. Go to http://www.tirerack.com and look for the tire sizes you want. Click on a tire and it will give you rim sizes that will work.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The car already understeers in the stock set-up. Even though larger tires in the rear will improve tractions turing acceleration, won't they make the car understeer even more?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Could you get away with 265/40 17 on the front and rear? I want to be able to rotate my tires regularly. Guys running the DR's, are you just putting them on the back and not the front? I kinda want the car to be symetrical.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Xman said:
The car already understeers in the stock set-up. Even though larger tires in the rear will improve tractions turing acceleration, won't they make the car understeer even more?
Understeer is a function of the front tires not having enough traction. The front tires skid forward through the turn instead of gripping and turning like they should. I suspect the car would be much more prone to oversteer if it had proper tires on it to begin with. The all-season tires that pontiac puts on there kinda suck. The traction is horrible when they are cold, and only slightly better once they get warm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.