Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
SLVR DOG said:
I have had a 2006 now for a few months and loving it. WOW

But, the AC compressor makes a clicking sound when I turn the AC on. Anyone else have this going on?

Thanks
That's normal. That's the sound of the compressor's clutch activating when you turn your air(or defrost) on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Also, the compressor does not stay on all the time. It cycles while the A/C is on and the engine is running. You may not notice it at speed, but the compressor cycling can feel like a shudder when you're stopped and the engine is idling.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Speaking of AC- anyone else's compressor fairly loud at idle? Can't hear it outside the car, but inside with the radio down, the wife usually looks at me and says "what the hell is that???"- I am surprised at how noisy it is. Were the problems with the compressors? If so, I may want to get it looked at before the Maggie goes on next week- that's all I need "well, the excess strain from the blower caused the AC compressor to go bad". Even though they have no leg to stand on, I just don't want the headache. I hate dealing with service departments!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
kwiktsi said:
Speaking of AC- anyone else's compressor fairly loud at idle? Can't hear it outside the car, but inside with the radio down, the wife usually looks at me and says "what the hell is that???"- I am surprised at how noisy it is. Were the problems with the compressors? If so, I may want to get it looked at before the Maggie goes on next week- that's all I need "well, the excess strain from the blower caused the AC compressor to go bad". Even though they have no leg to stand on, I just don't want the headache. I hate dealing with service departments!!

If it's always done that, then it's probably normal. Mine seems louder than it should be. With the clutch engaged, it rumbles pretty loudly at idle. I notice it when I'm backing out of the garage, but I'm thinking it's just normal...it's no worse now than the day I bought the car.

Have fun with the Maggie.

·
Registered
569 Posts
ModBoss2 said:
If it's always done that, then it's probably normal. Mine seems louder than it should be. With the clutch engaged, it rumbles pretty loudly at idle. I notice it when I'm backing out of the garage, but I'm thinking it's just normal...it's no worse now than the day I bought the car.

Have fun with the Maggie.

Thanks, without hearing other GTO's, it's hard to tell if it was normal or not. It does sound louder than it "should", but I had nothing to compare it to.

I can't wait to get the maggie in :). Should be lots of fun. Huge decision for me between that and the Procharger, hopefully I made the right one. I normally end up building the snot out of cars, so that is where the procharger would shine. However, I am hoping to leave the GTO as a fun daily driver, so the maggie is best there. We'll see how it runs once installed :).

·
Registered
58 Posts
i had mine replaced with 1500 miles on the clock. it was pretty loud so i took it to the dealer and they said it went bad and replaced it. the new one it kinda loud but nothing like the old one

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
kwiktsi said:
Operating charicteristic. I've had quite a few customers complain about that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine is loud too and I'm not happy with it. Last year I had the one on my '99 Firehawk replaced and it was super quiet. Now I get a new GTO and it's noisy!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.