Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having my GTO's heads repaired due to two dropped valves (thanks last owner). We removed the heads, and the headers. I'm due to get the heads back next week, and I'm not sure what gaskets I'm going to need. Would appreciate some old-timer's recommendations. This will be my daily driver / toy.

2006 GTO
Manual Transmission
Stoker Motor
Unknown Cam (but sounded aggressive)
Ported Heads
Kooks Full Headers (I believe 1 3/4")

Any help would be fantastic, and greatly appreciated. Don't know if I need to buy a full-set, or individuals.
Charles

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh boy

Well I'll take a shot at this but I am NOT, nor do I claim to be a experienced mechanic... Hell, I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn last night... This is literally my $0.02 cents. :rolleyes:

First, it sounds like you sent the heads to a professional shop, so get them on the horn and see what they advise. ($0.01 )

Second, I would never reuse a gasket, especially on a heavily modded engine... It's already tore apart and you're waiting for your head to ship back, go ahead and replace every gasket on it so you won't have to tear it back apart a few months down the road. ($0.01)

Figure out what make/size stroker engine you have and google it followed by "gasket rebuild kit". Start calling the different companies that come up to see what they would recommend. Don't buy stuff blindly, good chance you will be speaking to someone who knows your engine inside and out. Keep searching these forums too, ton's of knowledge mechs stop in. I'm sure there is more than gaskets that should be replaced while it's apart as general/preventive maintenance....

Here's your first lead: Summit Racing list 4,473 different rebuild kits. Shoot, that's $0.03 now... You owe me a penny, Sir!

:cheers

·
Registered
194 Posts
Honestly since you have a modified engine you should look over the old parts and try to find a name or part number on head gaskets (replace them). Header gaskets should be fine for reuse if they are the stock metal ones. Intake gaskets are a rubber o-ring that can be reused too.

I am not that old either! lol

·
Registered
194 Posts
Do not reuse the head gaskets. Looks like the head bolts should be replaced too. I use a product called Copper coat and coat both sides for the gasket when assembling.
Agreed, head bolts a TTY and should be replaced too. Header and intake bolts can be reused.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts