Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Changed oil, engine overheats...

Experienced that recently, I was noticing drippings size of a table plate every am. Coolant level low warning comes on, radiator is on full, would top reservoir, after a few days, the same thing. Didn't want to have more problems, my mechanic replaced water pump and thermostat. It's been more than a month now, situation normal.

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
I changed my oil and a lower radiator hose and now my car over heats. Can anyone help me out???
Check your lower hose to make sure its not sucking closed. It could be sucking closed causing a circulation issue. If you discover this, get a hose spring and insert it in the hose to prevent this. Not all hoses are created equal, thin wall hoses will pinch nearly shut, an older OEM hose will loose its stiffness over time and have pinching issues.

Your system may have gotten air in it and the thermostat is not operating normally and may need "burped" to clear the air bubble.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the system has air in it you'll need to disconnect the rubber hose to the crossover pipe at the top of the cylinder heads. while disconnected, add antifreeze mixture until it begins to exit the crossover tube, Reconnect the crossover tube rubber hose, top off the radiator and verify correct level in the receiver tank. Check daily for a few days and top off if necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts