Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
300HP in a front wheel drive, I'd rather have that power going to the rear. I wouldn't trade a GTO in for one and to tell you the truth I haven't seen many of the new V-8 body styles on the road. I don't think they're going to sell as well as the older V-6's. No one wants a high HP FWD car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not knocking your choice at all because we all have our reasons but... why are you considering going from a GTO to the Monte?

As stated above, I'd rather have the power in the rear wheels, and I'd also rather have more power than the Monte offers. Plus they are kind of run-of-the-mill cars available everywhere.

With so many great offers coming soon from Chevy, Dodge, Pontiac in rear wheel drive V8's in the next year to two years, you might want to wait it out a bit.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I've replaced a few belt tensioners on the Grand Prix GXP with the same v8 engine as the Monty. Not fun. Still a sharp car, though, but nowhere near the performance of even an 04 Goat.

·
Registered
730 Posts
i never test drove the monte but i've a friend who picked one over the gto mainly because of functionality ie larger trunk. i think the monte would make a decent daily driver. honestly i don't want a front wheel drive car and definitely not a front wheel drive v8 car. if the monte was rwd i may have bought one instead of a gto just for the trunk space. my only question is what's the durability of the ls4 like? o yeah torque steer would be a huge rascal i bet

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've driven both the Monte and Impala SS's and I thought they were nice cars. The only thing to get used to when shutting the TC and stomping the gas is that the front tires are smoking instead of the rears. With that being said, I painted the street with a wicked set of stripes accompanied by howling tires and plenty of smoke when I was driving the Impala.

D

·
0 Posts
Monte

It is just a matter of choice,, it is a cool looking car,, Buy what you like. not what someone else thinks about it

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I need to go to the Lounge and see if it's disappeared. Wondering why there is no discipline as to topics posted under GTO General Discussion and/or confused as to how this topic, or the one of the GNX fits in.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
If you were to sit down and design a car to have the worst possible handling characteristics, it would read something like this: Take a 3600 lb car and run 300 hp + to the front wheels (which are a long way from the rears)...

Woah hey- it's a Monte Carlo SS!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts