Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is some info on the 2009 GTO from Autosource if any one interested:

2009 MY - Zeta-Based GTO Replacement Revived For North America

In a reversal of thought, General Motors has decided that the GTO will return to the North American market based upon the new Zeta RWD platform. Previously, it looked as if the GTO was to be canceled along with a series of new rear-drive products for North America that were to be derived from the new, low-cost global RWD platform dubbed Zeta. However, it now appears that the cancellation of Zeta was complete for North America with the exception of the next-gen GTO, which has been revived in GM's cycle plan for a 2009 MY launch. While earlier plans called for the new Zeta-based GTO to be produced in North America (alongside new rear-drive models for Buick, Chevy and Pontiac), it will continue to be imported from Holden in Australia.

Part of GM’s decision to cancel Zeta for North America was to shift resources from the Zeta program to its upcoming GMT900 full-size pickup and SUV programs which were pulled ahead by six months to combat increasing competition, and GM’s need to improve financial results. The decision was also made due to concerns that the cars could not be competitive from a quality and price level with new rear-drive products, such as the Ford Mustang and DCX LX platform vehicles. North American Zeta production was expected to emanate from GM's Hamtramck, MI assembly plant.

The reason for developing the GTO as the only North American Zeta-based vehicle instead of canceling it altogether stems from GM’s newly formulated brand strategy for Buick, Pontiac and GMC. GM’s new overall strategy for the Buick, Pontiac, and GMC brand’s requires the three to work together through a single retail sales channel and to work together as a unified product portfolio. In that portfolio each of the three brands must maintain a strong focus around only 5 or 6 products, with Pontiac’s product line-up focus being on sport oriented driving enthusiasts. By canceling the GTO, Pontiac would have been left with the Solstice as its only RWD sports car. Pontiac needs the GTO to help bring the brand back toward the sport oriented direction that it must move toward in the future. The GTO is also the only vehicle that Pontiac could see as a viable competitor to the Mustang and DCX’s upcoming Dodge Challenger.

The Zeta platform, which Holden, GM's Australian subsidiary, has been assigned the lead role in the engineering/development for, utilizes a mix of Holden (VT through VY) and Sigma platform components, and is considerably lower in cost than the premium Sigma platform. In Australia, the Zeta platform is expected to form the basis for three locally-produced models - Commodore, Monaro, and Statesman. Zeta will also provide the basis for Europe's Opel/Vauxhall Signum flagship sedan, and next-gen Saab 9-5.

Zeta (also referred to as "Sigma Mass") volumes were originally planned at 400,000 units annually, half of which was intended for North America. NA volumes were expected to increase later in the decade as the 2009 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 2011 Chevrolet Impala, and other new models joined the mix. Zeta can be formatted in rear-wheel drive, all-wheel drive, with V6 and V8 drivetrains, and in a variety of wheelbases.

The GTO, which currently rides on the Holden V-class chassis, was originally scheduled to be replaced on the new Zeta platform for the 2008 MY under a program designated GMX282. However, it now appears that with Holden stopping production of the Monaro for their domestic markets early in 2006 to focus on the next Commodore, there will eventually be a gap in the life of the GTO. Holden will continue to produce the current GTO for North America with little, to no, change through the 2007 MY, but the new GTO is not expected until late 2nd quarter 2008 as a 2009 model.

The new Zeta-based GTO is expected to have more expressive styling and be more of a stand-out vehicle than the current model. Both Holden in Australia, and Pontiac in North America, are looking for a vehicle that is much more of a performance coupe, so expect the next version to be lower, wider and more aggressive than the current V-Series car. The GTO is expected to take some styling cues from the Solstice as it attempts to further develop the new face of Pontiac and tries to distance itself somewhat from the bland styling reputation of the current GTO. Power for the next GTO is expected to be provided by a new 400HP 6.2L GEN IV DoD V8 (L92), but in an effort to help meet fuel economy requirements, and in an effort to help lower the entry price point, a 6-cylinder version is also expected to be offered. The 3.9 Liter “High Value” V6 that will enter Pontiac’s G6 GXP in the 2007 MY, and was planned to be offered in the Zeta-based Grand Prix replacement (G8), is being strongly considered for the GTO and likely will be added a year after launch. The 3.9 Liter will offer 275HP, 3-valve cylinder heads and Displacement on Demand. Both engines are to be backed by a 6-speed manual transmission, and a six-speed semi-automatic transmission.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
djgcue said:
Here is some info on the 2009 GTO from Autosource if any one interested:

2009 MY - Zeta-Based GTO Replacement Revived For North America

In a reversal of thought, General Motors has decided that the GTO will return to the North American market based upon the new Zeta RWD platform. Previously, it looked as if the GTO was to be canceled along with a series of new rear-drive products for North America that were to be derived from the new, low-cost global RWD platform dubbed Zeta. However, it now appears that the cancellation of Zeta was complete for North America with the exception of the next-gen GTO, which has been revived in GM's cycle plan for a 2009 MY launch. While earlier plans called for the new Zeta-based GTO to be produced in North America (alongside new rear-drive models for Buick, Chevy and Pontiac), it will continue to be imported from Holden in Australia.

Part of GM’s decision to cancel Zeta for North America was to shift resources from the Zeta program to its upcoming GMT900 full-size pickup and SUV programs which were pulled ahead by six months to combat increasing competition, and GM’s need to improve financial results. The decision was also made due to concerns that the cars could not be competitive from a quality and price level with new rear-drive products, such as the Ford Mustang and DCX LX platform vehicles. North American Zeta production was expected to emanate from GM's Hamtramck, MI assembly plant.

The reason for developing the GTO as the only North American Zeta-based vehicle instead of canceling it altogether stems from GM’s newly formulated brand strategy for Buick, Pontiac and GMC. GM’s new overall strategy for the Buick, Pontiac, and GMC brand’s requires the three to work together through a single retail sales channel and to work together as a unified product portfolio. In that portfolio each of the three brands must maintain a strong focus around only 5 or 6 products, with Pontiac’s product line-up focus being on sport oriented driving enthusiasts. By canceling the GTO, Pontiac would have been left with the Solstice as its only RWD sports car. Pontiac needs the GTO to help bring the brand back toward the sport oriented direction that it must move toward in the future. The GTO is also the only vehicle that Pontiac could see as a viable competitor to the Mustang and DCX’s upcoming Dodge Challenger.

The Zeta platform, which Holden, GM's Australian subsidiary, has been assigned the lead role in the engineering/development for, utilizes a mix of Holden (VT through VY) and Sigma platform components, and is considerably lower in cost than the premium Sigma platform. In Australia, the Zeta platform is expected to form the basis for three locally-produced models - Commodore, Monaro, and Statesman. Zeta will also provide the basis for Europe's Opel/Vauxhall Signum flagship sedan, and next-gen Saab 9-5.

Zeta (also referred to as "Sigma Mass") volumes were originally planned at 400,000 units annually, half of which was intended for North America. NA volumes were expected to increase later in the decade as the 2009 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 2011 Chevrolet Impala, and other new models joined the mix. Zeta can be formatted in rear-wheel drive, all-wheel drive, with V6 and V8 drivetrains, and in a variety of wheelbases.

The GTO, which currently rides on the Holden V-class chassis, was originally scheduled to be replaced on the new Zeta platform for the 2008 MY under a program designated GMX282. However, it now appears that with Holden stopping production of the Monaro for their domestic markets early in 2006 to focus on the next Commodore, there will eventually be a gap in the life of the GTO. Holden will continue to produce the current GTO for North America with little, to no, change through the 2007 MY, but the new GTO is not expected until late 2nd quarter 2008 as a 2009 model.

The new Zeta-based GTO is expected to have more expressive styling and be more of a stand-out vehicle than the current model. Both Holden in Australia, and Pontiac in North America, are looking for a vehicle that is much more of a performance coupe, so expect the next version to be lower, wider and more aggressive than the current V-Series car. The GTO is expected to take some styling cues from the Solstice as it attempts to further develop the new face of Pontiac and tries to distance itself somewhat from the bland styling reputation of the current GTO. Power for the next GTO is expected to be provided by a new 400HP 6.2L GEN IV DoD V8 (L92), but in an effort to help meet fuel economy requirements, and in an effort to help lower the entry price point, a 6-cylinder version is also expected to be offered. The 3.9 Liter “High Value” V6 that will enter Pontiac’s G6 GXP in the 2007 MY, and was planned to be offered in the Zeta-based Grand Prix replacement (G8), is being strongly considered for the GTO and likely will be added a year after launch. The 3.9 Liter will offer 275HP, 3-valve cylinder heads and Displacement on Demand. Both engines are to be backed by a 6-speed manual transmission, and a six-speed semi-automatic transmission.

I've read this before. But this article is confusing. First part says that Zeta is not in production, which is wrong, and then the article talks about specific designs for the GTO.

I hate the engines they will be using. Who the hell cars about a performance sport car that gets good gas mileage. I want all 8 cylinders ALL THE TIME.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
dealernut said:
I hate the engines they will be using. Who the hell cars about a performance sport car that gets good gas mileage. I want all 8 cylinders ALL THE TIME.

Yup...a bag of snakes just waiting to happen.

Besides that, it's all BS anyway. Look at the mileage numbers for the (admittedly heavier) 300C or Charger. I get a real-world, traffic & open freeway average of 19-20 mpg. The DMX 'selectable' engine fares no better.

It doesn't really matter to me. As much as I love my car and will hold onto it forever if possible (as my token pushrod V8), it's more than likely my last GM product. I don't much like the styling direction they are going in (Camaro- bleagh) and my horrible experiences with GM "technicians," keeps pushing push me back to the EuroSleds.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Groucho said:
Yup...a bag of snakes just waiting to happen.

Besides that, it's all BS anyway. Look at the mileage numbers for the (admittedly heavier) 300C or Charger. I get a real-world, traffic & open freeway average of 19-20 mpg. The DMX 'selectable' engine fares no better.

It doesn't really matter to me. As much as I love my car and will hold onto it forever if possible (as my token pushrod V8), it's more than likely my last GM product. I don't much like the styling direction they are going in (Camaro- bleagh) and my horrible experiences with GM "technicians," keeps pushing push me back to the EuroSleds.
Displacemaen on demand is required to pass future,stricter emissions regulations.(I agree it sucks)
Go easy on the tecs. not all of us are bad, and we put up with ALOT OF SH!T.:cool

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
PEARL JAM said:
Displacemaen on demand is required to pass future,stricter emissions regulations.(I agree it sucks)
Go easy on the tecs. not all of us are bad, and we put up with ALOT OF SH!T.:cool
It's like bad cops-- the bad apples give the good guys a bad name.

Unfortunately I seem to always end up dealing with the clueless and the incompetent...with the smarmy customer service managers covering everybodies asses.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
PEARL JAM said:
Yes you do. I watched a tech replace a Solstice top and it took him two days of constant work.

His compensation from GM. 2 hours. The dealership had to pay the guy the difference since he busted his ass and did the top the right way.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Dammit, if the timeline gets pushed again they're gonna screw my buying cycle all to hell! :willy:

Got into my '05 in April this year and keeping fingers crossed that the next gen GTO makes it to market by the time my lease runs out. Since some idiot crashed my car (gee, I dunno who) I would like to not have to buy it in order to hang onto a goat.

I agree with the 6-cylinder being a bad idea. One of my favorite things about the goat is the exclusivity of only 11K being produced. If they go the 6 cylinder route that means they're gonna push production up to over a 100K a year and the 6 cyl will just make it more affordable to any idiot out there.

Hope they don't go too far with styling. I want to maintain the sleeper quality

·
Registered
305 Posts
Wing_Nut said:
Put your trust in the stylists at Pontiac. Best guys in the world with plastic cladding!
Damn you, do not curse us.

I think with their success with the non-cladded G6 they may realize that that's definitely not the way to go. They're designs are much cleaner and fluid than they used to be. I also own a G6 and think it's one of the best looking cars on the road today.

Now, I'm NOT suggesting the next goat should look like a G6, but I do have a little confidence in them. Despite such monstrosities as the 'Vibe'. Don't think they've got the SUV thing down yet either

Either way, I never owned a plastic cladded Grand Am and I will never own a plastic cladded GTO. I would hate to have to buy a Challenger

·
Registered
96 Posts
One of the things I like most about our cars (04-06) (mine is 05) is there are only the v8 with few options. But a V6 version? I understand sales and marketing so they have to do it for the money. I am so glad ours didn't end up that way and now they are finished. We will have a rare car guys. How many GTOs do you see in a week vs. mustangs or even TAs and Camaros. I am proud to have my beast.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
LS2 - Light SpeedX2 said:
One of the things I like most about our cars (04-06) (mine is 05) is there are only the v8 with few options. But a V6 version? I understand sales and marketing so they have to do it for the money. I am so glad ours didn't end up that way and now they are finished. We will have a rare car guys. How many GTOs do you see in a week vs. mustangs or even TAs and Camaros. I am proud to have my beast.

good point. It will only end up making our LS2 vehicles worth more.

·
Registered
32 Posts
dealernut said:
I'm fully supportive of the DoD "feature" if:
1. it allows the GTO to avoid the gas guzzlers tax
2. it doesn't compromise power
3. it doesn't bump the cost up by more than the guzzler tax savings

My reading indicates that these DoD-like systems take a fraction of a second to activate and deactivate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Groucho said:
It's like bad cops-- the bad apples give the good guys a bad name.

Unfortunately I seem to always end up dealing with the clueless and the incompetent...with the smarmy customer service managers covering everybodies asses.
Exactly the 10 good cops in this country get a bad name because of the rest of the police force... its just not fair :rofl:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.