2010 University of Maryland Spring Meet for Charity
hosted by College Park Tuning

• • Thousands of different cars
    • Dyno pulls
    • BBQ
    • Live DJ
    • 50/50 Raffle
    • Raffle Prizes
We will be asking for 1(or more) non-perishable food item per person as they enter the lot. If you forget to bring an item or prefer not to, we will collect a $1 donation on your way into the lot. All the donations collected from admission, food sales and the 50/50 raffle are going to be donated to Martha’s Table (Martha's Table | Serving the needs of the Washington, DC community through food, learning, healthy living, recreational and family support services.).

University of Maryland – College Park Campus, Parking Lots 9 & 11
Directions to Campus

Date
Sunday, May 2nd, 2010

Time
Noon, 12:00 pm. If you show up before this time you will NOT be let into the parking lot

Food
• BBQ, Hamburgers, Hot Dogs on the grill
• Soft drinks and other refreshments

Dyno
• $75.00 for 2 - 3 baseline pulls w/ A/F and printout
• If you are interested in dynoing your car, please send an email to [email protected] . We are trying to have people pre-register for the dyno.

Basic Rules
1. No tents
2. No alcohol
3. No scandalous attire (this is a family event)
4. Chairs are permitted everywhere but a parking space
5. No saving spaces

The Last four years meets were great successes. Thank you to everyone who came out and supported us! We look forward to seeing you all again!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Last years UMD event suckedballs..... I seriously doubt the GTO herd will show up in force like in past years unless we park outside the event just to laugh at all the rice who pull into the wrong parking lot because we're parked there... LOL.

Herd rollin into the show in 08...

Fast and Furious girls in 08...

The herd was broken up in to 3 locations after showing up with too big a group in 09...

Not parked with the herd in 09...

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am sorry the event did not go well for you guys. I would ask you not blame Noob1986 for anything as he is new to the gto community and was not at the event last year.

I understand you all were mad that you were split up and not treated well by other people at the event. I was flipping burgers all day so I had no idea what was actually happening in the lot.

All I can offer is my apologies. I know the GTO community will never show up to these events as strongly or even want to show up and for that I am saddened because I bought a GTO because I loved the car and the community and now the community feels I betrayed them. I am just a college student trying to raise money for MarthasTable

Also if I mod could move this to the northeast regional subsection I feel that is a better location for it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, sorry about that, i had no idea. But i mean really... its a chance to gather and eat burgers and have some fun. Plus its for a good cause, who cares where you park your car, the idea is to help people. I hope the altruistic GTO owners still make it out.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Tec, I know you wound up as the focal point of discontent after last years UMD show and I believe that was unfair.

FYI.... beyond the lack of cohesive organization and resultant parking issues, I came with 20 cans of various food products and your collection staff showed a total lack of interest. It appeared what I gave the dude was an inconvenience instead of helping reach the goal in providing charitable assistance to the Martha’s Table organization.

Just the same, good cause and all... I've read the problems of last year are now the rules for this year and that just isn't going to cut it for me to return in the GTO. I wish you well and hope the event is successful for your cause.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just show up, its a dollar or a can of food. all proceeds go to the Martha's Table charity. Should be a good time. If you go stop by and say hi, i'll be working the water tent by the dyno.:cheers

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Read the event sucked again and was worse than 09.... you guys need to learn from your mistakes, not repeat them. I know some alumni that passed on attending this year and opted to go elsewere on Sunday.

1st off, do not let campus police direct parking.... they don't give a crap where they send cars (fart cans next to 60's muscle, is like oil and water).

Prior to the event, map and block out sections of the lot for brand specific cars and simular tin types (ie, imports in one area, modern muscle in another with it further segragated to areas for Ford, GM, Mopar with Euro and rice sections broken down to manufacture blocks as well) leaving gaps in between types to use as over flow filler.

Also, for Gods sake let clubs park together.... or your event will be doomed to draw nothing but POS wannabes. Which is a damn shame since the UMD show was a great event to attend just a few years ago.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Traffic was handled in accordance with the police's request. If we are to be at all concerned with the longevity of these meets this is one area we need to respect. Going renegade to please the people who must all be situated just perfectly would do nothing but insure that these meets will not continue.

I do agree that parking by make is a good goal for next year, but that is out of my hands.

But i mean really guy... the meet's whole purpose is to raise money for a charity (Martha's Table) to help the hungry have a meal. Everyone needs to chill out, park where your told, and walk around and try your best to have a good time. Honestly if you try, instead of preoccupying yourselves with negativity when something doesn't go your way, i'm sure you'll be able to join the vast majority of the people who were having a great time.

So, next year think beyond your trivial parking space, and come, if for nothing else, to help out the hungry in out area, im sure they would appreciate it. :cheers

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Traffic was handled in accordance with the police's request. If we are to be at all concerned with the longevity of these meets this is one area we need to respect. Going renegade to please the people who must all be situated just perfectly would do nothing but insure that these meets will not continue.

I do agree that parking by make is a good goal for next year, but that is out of my hands.

But i mean really guy... the meet's whole purpose is to raise money for a charity (Martha's Table) to help the hungry have a meal. Everyone needs to chill out, park where your told, and walk around and try your best to have a good time. Honestly if you try, instead of preoccupying yourselves with negativity when something doesn't go your way, i'm sure you'll be able to join the vast majority of the people who were having a great time.

So, next year think beyond your trivial parking space, and come, if for nothing else, to help out the hungry in out area, im sure they would appreciate it. :cheers
LOL, you are a noob. Bottom line, I'm just not interested in being at a fart can/tuner event. As far as the charity, I'm not an advocate of the DC social engineering mission.

I'd gone to the UMD show the previous 3 years before passing on going this year. In the past it was a good time with a mixed bag of rides to suit all tastes but the event has declined as attendance has increased. IMO, the make up of attendees are more DUB and NOPI orientated vrs muscle (modern or vintage) car, which has caused subsequent control to be taken over by Campus police.

So, an all Pontiac drag race & show event was my choice for Sunday and the benefit was all mine!!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Noob,

It seems that the major complaint is the way police handle the parking. If you have a plan and present it to the police BEFORE the event, you might get some cooperation. Think of it in their eyes, a large number of cars flowing onto campus and they don't know who they are or their reason for being there.

It comes down to basic management skills which you have failed at miserably the last two years.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
against my better judgement i'm going to perpetuate this stupid argument with you, even though you have absolutely no idea about how the meet was planned... Actually no, i'm not. Cant really argue with someone who has no chance of changing their opinion. Really i dont care if you come or not... im sorry i even let this go this far.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
against my better judgement i'm going to perpetuate this stupid argument with you, even though you have absolutely no idea about how the meet was planned... Actually no, i'm not. Cant really argue with someone who has no chance of changing their opinion. Really i dont care if you come or not... im sorry i even let this go this far.
No offense taken. Just trying to provide some advice. The two years I did attend were decent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts