Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice car, but I'd rather spend money on a Hennessey Venom GT. Even if money were no option. Only 1 mph slower top speed, but $2.32 million cheaper. Honestly, who's gonna bust your balls in a street car that does 0-60 in 2.5 and 0-200 in under 16 seconds. The places on earth that extra 1 mph can be used are counted on one hand. At $180 G's, that's a hell of a lot of car. Imo looks better than the veyron too (based on a stretched lotus elise).

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see these types of comments all the time about rather buy a cheaper car that can almost do the same thing as an expensive car. You get what you pay for. There is a reason why the Veyron cost so much, it has more R&D than car X and it was built to last years and years and do it day in and day out. It is more than just the speed its the quality too.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Damn, they built 30 cars knowing that you would buy one Backup, now they got a spare car! Kidding.. These cars aren't for anyone "normal", these are additions to an ultra rich guys collection. A set of tires costs as much as our cars!! In the past the Euro's looked down their nose at the Corvette because of it's "substandard" interiors, but now they do respect the power and handling of the car. Our best car, the Vette still has/had leaf springs while they have full coil over/tuneable suspensions. US cars are very low tech compared to the typical supercar. I would rather have 20 ZR1s, compared to one Venron, but I can't afford a ZR1.. The new 918 Porsche has a full Carbon fiber body.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Well if I could afford a Veyron, I would have a Veyron... PERIOD!! I don't care if I could get 100 cars for the price of 1 Veyron that will run within 1 mph of it. It still isn't a Veyron. 80 of the 100 cars will probably be in the shop at the same time for reliability issues anyway. Now if I could afford the Veyron, best believe I'd probably be able to afford a ZR1, which I'd have, alone with a handful of fully restored early 60s and 70s American muscle cars. Bottom line, like GM4life said, you get what you pay for so why not pay for the better product?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Even if I could afford it, I wouldn't buy it.
My brothers friends in Key Largo bought a $1mllion yacht in 07? Then found it was too big to use without help, so now they have it for sale for $420K!!! Yep, $580K of depreciation in 3 years!! And that's the asking price, not the sold price.. If I was that financially secure to be able to afford one, I would choose to make wise investments hopefully and not give away my success.. That's the same reason people win the lottery and end up broke in a year..

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's called demand.

And investing money in a car is stupid, people that have that kind of money don't buy cars for investments. They(most) are the smart ones, the interest will take care of them, they don't have to work.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Even if I could afford it, I wouldn't buy it.
My brothers friends in Key Largo bought a $1mllion yacht in 07? Then found it was too big to use without help, so now they have it for sale for $420K!!! Yep, $580K of depreciation in 3 years!! And that's the asking price, not the sold price.. If I was that financially secure to be able to afford one, I would choose to make wise investments hopefully and not give away my success.. That's the same reason people win the lottery and end up broke in a year..
Most people who can afford those types of toys can do so because of smart investing. The reason lottery winners spend everything that they win is because they did nothing to earn that money therefore they don’t understand the importance of its value. When you save your hard earned money and "plan" your spending wisely you can then afford to buy anything you feel you want or feel you deserve. I'm by no means a wealthy person but that's how I purchase everything I want and deserve. As a matter of fact, that's exactly how I purchased my GTO.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Most people who can afford those types of toys can do so because of smart investing. The reason lottery winners spend everything that they win is because they did nothing to earn that money therefore they don’t understand the importance of its value. When you save your hard earned money and "plan" your spending wisely you can then afford to buy anything you feel you want or feel you deserve. I'm by no means a wealthy person but that's how I purchase everything I want and deserve. As a matter of fact, that's exactly how I purchased my GTO.
Seams like an agree to disagree moment...
I have a $5, 50, 500 analogy.. What is $5 dollars to someone, is $50 to others as $500 is to someone else, as in value. That is why some richies spend $1000 on a t-shirt, while I try to find it on sale at WalMart as $10 is too much.
If someone has a billion, then a Veyron is a drop in the bucket. If I had $3 million, then the veyron would eat all my money and would be a bad buy. If I had to make payments, then I'm a MORON! Bill Gates is a Veyron guy.. I could be his detailer and take it to fill up! Boat people are the same way, only 1 person on the boat can afford it, the others are just posing..:cheers

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Seams like an agree to disagree moment...
I have a $5, 50, 500 analogy.. What is $5 dollars to someone, is $50 to others as $500 is to someone else, as in value. That is why some richies spend $1000 on a t-shirt, while I try to find it on sale at WalMart as $10 is too much.
If someone has a billion, then a Veyron is a drop in the bucket. If I had $3 million, then the veyron would eat all my money and would be a bad buy. If I had to make payments, then I'm a MORON! Bill Gates is a Veyron guy.. I could be his detailer and take it to fill up! Boat people are the same way, only 1 person on the boat can afford it, the others are just posing..:cheers
I don’t think we're disagreeing. We're actually saying the same thing. As I see, I guess when most people spend money they probably feel that they're spending it wisely and really don’t care what anyone else thinks. I've been questioned on why I bought my GTO and my Maxima and I always say, "Because they're what I wanted and I could afford to". Do I want a C6 Z06? Hell yeah! Can I afford one, at this moment? Hell no! That's why I don't have one. Will I get questioned about why I spent my money on a Corvette when I do finally get one... probably but I still won't care what they think. I really don’t worry about how someone chooses to spend their cash. If they buy what they can afford then good for them. If they choose to live above their means then bad for them. It's really none of my business. :cheers

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I don't even know what I would do if I had that kinda money. I'd probally have 1 of just about everything just because I could.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Well, I bought the Vette, got a 99 in 05 upon my return from Iraq, after the divorce. Bought it just because I wanted it, and Vettes hold their value better than other cars. I traded in a 94 LT1 Z28 that I had $8K in for $4200 after owning it less than a year, but bought it for the X, so all is good.. I paid $23K for it with 60K miles. I have had it 5 years, paid interest and repairs, put 30K miles on it and now it's worth $12K ish. So I lost app. 18K on a car that I put 30k miles on???? I don't like the depreciation and understand people do that for their whole lifes, but I don't. I went back old school, bought the Lemans and am dumping a bunch of money in it that I can get back. I am 45, have never bought a new car and never will. Cars are investments, not money pits. The financial guys say that new cars are the worst investment you can make. I will buy old cars and keep them and enjoy and drive my nest eggs..

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
I'll admit the Veyron is sexy, but for $1.7M, chop off the 18k I paid for my GTO, and let me spend the rest dollar for dollar modifying the GTO... guaranteed I could build a car that could hang all day with they Veyron. You could afford fancy things like Ti cradles, trans case, diff case, suspension arms, and 10" wide wheels, with full CF panels including the roof and floorpan, lexan windows, a mini tub front and back, centralized brakes, full pneumatic clutch paddle shift sequential trans, pneumatic locking diff, and a 440 stroked/bluprinted/balanced/p&p LS7 running an STS twin kit.

I think I'd have more fun for the money that way than purchasing a seven figure supercar...

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
:agree That's what I was thinking.. There is a lot of technology in that car, far beyond that of the new ZR-1.. A set of sticky tires aren't going to hang against a Veyron..
Funny story, driving today I saw a 300C with a Bentley front end kit on it coming up behind me.. Then it passed me and it was a real 2 dr Bentley!! Sharp car! Wonder who the driver was, those cars are big bucks. This was in Dothan, Alabama, so really odd.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is a reason why the Veyron cost so much, it has more R&D than car X and it was built to last years and years and do it day in and day out. It is more than just the speed its the quality too.
I agree with you that it may have more R&D, but as for built to last years and years and do it day in and day out, I call bs. We're not talking about the difference between a Mercedes and a Kia. Both cars are built on the same premise, blistering speed when you want it. Forget the fact that hardly anything is made anymore to last an extended period of time in daily use. Name an exotic sports car that is built using the principles of daily driving reliability. These cars are all built with the understanding that they will eat parts on a regular basis because they are made to harness extreme performance, not reliability. They're made to be toys for the rich and famous. I agree that in most cases you get what you pay for in quality. However, with exotic sports cars, most of what you're paying for is prestige, not quality. I've been in a few Ferrari's and their year comparative counterpart Corvette's. Yes, there is a difference in feel and performance. But the Ferrari Testarossa (fastest road car of it's time) requires an engine rebuild every 20K miles at which point the engine has to be disassembled in pieces out of the back of the car to get to the transmission for service as well. I understand that current supercars are much more reliable than that and can be driven on a daily basis, but you're still gonna eat parts a lot faster in a supercar than an exotic sedan and you can't be lax at all on maintenance when your using that kind of performance. That's not even considering the fact that these cars are built to be driven hard. If you idle around everywhere with them, you will have yet more problems develop that will turn into more shop time.

Any car that is planned on to travel 250mph+ goes through an extensive amount of R&D. The same is true of the Venom GT. It has an Elise inspired body. It's not like they cut an Elise in half, stretched it two ft and welded it back together then stuffed a 1000hp+ engine in it to go real fast. We're talkin about years of R&D and a new chassis designed to perform on this level, not the guy that goes out in his back yard and puts a turbo 'busa motor in a Smart car so he can spank Ferrari's at the strip.

Like I said, I agree with you to certain extent, but given that maintenance down time is likely to be roughly the same (forget repair bills because hypothetically, money is no limit), why would I pay almost 14 times more for a car that I find less attractive. That's not even frugal for the filthy, stinking rich, that's just prestige of brand name and a peter measuring contest. 1 mph doesn't make much of a difference at that speed. If it was about quality, then Bugatti wouldn't have had to build a "super sport" version of the Veyron just because someone else edged them out on the top speed record by a few mph. The leaps and bounds you're suggesting the Veyron has in quality should have more than made up for the 3 or 4mph top speed difference. I'm not trying to be rude, and certainly don't wish to pick a fight. That just sounds much more like a pissing contest than a quality of engineering dispute to me.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Huh? What? :confused Are you kidding me?

Your doing alot of apple to oranges comparisons and contridicting yourself.
I'm not going to conversate anymore with you on this subject because you can't comprehend or understand R&D, fit and finish, technology or just the basic engineering standpoint based on that post.:rolleyes: I respect opinions and choices of cars.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Name an exotic sports car that is built using the principles of daily driving reliability. .
New ZR1 Corvette, exotic to me.
Leo's Corvettes in Pensacola drag raced a 90 Corvette ZR1 with a 150 shot on it, they raced the car all the time and the old Mercruiser ZR1 motor never had an issue. I never new that motor was durable, but it really was that good of a motor..
Some years ago I found a Masseratti for sale local real cheap, it was the Biturbo, looked like a K car, pretty ugly, but really nice interior. Had 30K miles on it and the motor needed a valve job. Did some research and the old 80's Masseratti motors were only short term motors, so there is some truth to the statement about being picky and needing extensive maintenance, but I think that is a thing of the past.
The new Porsches, AMG Mercedes and BMW M's are all very well built and high tech cars that I'm sure are all relativelly problem free..

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
:lol:
You might can make a Bonneville race car that can keep up with it or beat it in a stright but to equal it not a chance.

Check out the videos I posted in post #7 not that easy of a task to do what this car can do alot of R&D went into this car.
http://www.gtoforum.com/f7/bugatti-veyron-super-sport-top-gear-videos-added-28122/
The vids don't work anymore. :(

I still think it would be more fun to spend 8 years building your own shining example of speed, handling, quality, and reliability versus flaunting your extreme wealth by purchasing one of those. Great rides are built, not bought. :cheers

Them Caterham R500's can still flog a veyron pretty good on a road course. Granted the Caterham doesn't have heated leather seats...

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The vids don't work anymore. :(

I still think it would be more fun to spend 8 years building your own shining example of speed, handling, quality, and reliability versus flaunting your extreme wealth by purchasing one of those. Great rides are built, not bought. :cheers

Them Caterham R500's can still flog a veyron pretty good on a road course. Granted the Caterham doesn't have heated leather seats...
Check out the vids in post #7 of that link they work. Set aside about 45-60mins some good stuff. They didn't cover everything I've read about the Veyron. What is surprising that VW don't make money on the car.

I agree that it would be more fun that blood, sweat and tears is spent building your own car. I give people alot of props doing it. Its not cheap and it still takes some kind of wealth doing it.:cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts