Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a big Division 3 NHRA race at Indy this weekend. There are several Pontiac powered Stockers there, including a '70 GTO. There are also 1st & 2nd gen Birds, and even a '62 GP, driven by Bob Michael.

The highest qualified Pontiac is a '77 K/SA Bird, driven by Thomas Pettigrew, at #11.

LODRS 3-1 - Stock Eliminator Final Qualifying, Session #3 Order

There is also at least 1 Pontiac powered Super Stock car entered. It's a '73 SS/JA SD455 Formula, driven by Russ Abrams.

LODRS 3-1 - Super Stock Qualifying, Session #2 Order

Good luck to all the Pontiac powered racers at Indy ! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This time I've got good news and bad. The good news is that Randi Lyn cut a better light, ran closer to her dial, and won a double breakout race in round 3 of Stock. :)

LODRS 3-1 - Stock Eliminator Round 3 Eliminations

The bad news is that Russ Abrams cut a better light, but lost his 2nd round double breakout race, in Super Stock. :(

LODRS 3-1 - Super Stock Round 2 Eliminations

In round 4, Randi Lyn cut a .015 light and ran right on her 10.56 dial, for the win. :)

LODRS 3-1 - Stock Eliminator Round 4 Eliminations

She made it to the quarter-final round. But there, she broke out and lost to one of the 9 sec late model cars. :(

LODRS 3-1 - Stock Eliminator Round 5 Eliminations

But, she drove a great race and went more rounds than any of the other Pontiacs. So, congrats to Randi Lyn for representing Pontiac Power very well indeed ! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Wow! Great photos and race coverage Oldskool! Thanks for sharing!

Looks like it was a great weekend for racing, I'm planning on getting my butt to the track this year, either as a spectator or.......:leaving:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Big Racing Weekend

There are several division races and a National event this weekend. Looks to be 3 Pontiac powered Stockers at the Big race--Randi Lyn Shipp, Michael Brand , and Adam Davis.

Randi Lyn is the highest Pontiac qualifier. And both she and Michael Brand picked up their class wins. :)

ATLANTA - Stock Eliminator Qualifying, Session #2 Order

ATLANTA - Stock Eliminator Class Eliminations Qualifying

ATLANTA - Stock Eliminator Round 2 Class Eliminations

ATLANTA - Stock Eliminator Round 3 Class Eliminations

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Shucks !

Well, I hate to report bad news. But I'm afraid all 3 Pontiacs got put out in the 1st round this morning. :(

ATLANTA - Stock Eliminator Round 1 Eliminations

But, there are still some Pontiacs racing at the division races. We got at least 4 Pontiac Stockers in the div 3 race at Norwalk. Tommy Pettigrew has the highest qualified Pontiac, with his '77 Bird. Then we have Julie Biermann and Brent Flynn with their E/SA '68 Birds. And Bob Michael is entered with his '62 GP. :cool:

LODRS 3-2 - Stock Eliminator Qualifying, Friday Order

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Norwalk Super Stockers

OK, there are also at least 2 Pontiacs in SS at Norwalk. There's Joel Larkin in his '67 Bird and Russ Abrams in his '73 Bird. Don't know if any of the GT cars have Pontiac power or not. But, I don't wanna leave anybody out. So if ya'll know of any Pontiac powered cars I'm missing, please post that info. Thanks. :)

LODRS 3-2 - Super Stock Qualifying, Friday Order

There seems to be a lot of rain in the midwest this weekend. So, some of the races may be delayed. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Norwalk

They also got in a round of Stock elim at Norwalk. The bad news is that even with all the Stockers entered, 2 of the Pontiacs had to run each other in the 1st round. But the good news is, 3 Pontiacs made it to the 2nd round--the '77 Bird and both E/SA '68 Birds. :)

LODRS 3-2 - Stock Eliminator Round 1 Eliminations

I read that Bob Michael blew a motor in his 1st round race. Sorry to hear that. :(

The two E/SA '68 Birds made it to round 3, before bowing out. So, I'm sure they had fun. Brent Flynn made a real good pass in round 2, with a .002 light and an 11.58 on an 11.57 dial. :)

http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=298543&Filter=Year2015#indextop

http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=298548&Filter=100#indextop

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Breaker ! Breaker !

If I'm reading this sheet correctly, Scott Burton won Stock in Idaho, and Brad Burton was RU ! :bannana:

Now I KNOW that's fun ! 2 Pontiacs run in the finals, while all the Chevys(and everything else) are gone or loading up. It just don't get much better than that. Well, except for a winner, RU, and semi final finish with your 3 Pontiacs entered. That's fun too !

CONGRATS to the Burtons for their win & RU, and for being very good representatives for Pontiac powered class racing ! GREAT job guys ! :smile2:

https://www.facebook.com/NhraNorthwestDivision6

LODRS 6-1 - Stock Eliminator Final, Round 6 Eliminations

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Topeka +

There is another National Event and some division races again this weekend.

If I read it right, Miss Pontiac--Randi Lyn Shipp, has the only Pontiac powered Stocker listed in Q1, with her 1st gen '67 Bird. I've experienced this many times. My old Pontiacs were the only Pontiac powered cars at the vast majority of all the races we entered. But, that just made the wins more fun !
So, good luck to Randi Lyn !

Bill Rink is entered in SS with his '74 GTO. He is qualified #2 @ more than a sec under his index ! That might cause another hp factor hit from NHRA. But he has experienced this several times before. His little GTO has a very potent little 350 engine ! :)

TOPEKA - Stock Eliminator Qualifying, Session #1 Order

TOPEKA - Super Stock Qualifying, Session #1 Order

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Division 7

There's a div 7 race out on the West coast this weekend. I count 3 Stockers and at least 1 SS car, powered by Pontiac engines.

There's Tommy Brown, in a K/SA '74 Lemans, Leo Glasbrenner in a C/SA 68 Bird, and Lindy Lindholm in an I/SA '74 Bird.

LODRS 7-3 - Stock Eliminator Qualifying, Friday Order

Leo Glasbrenner is also entered in SS, with his GT/CA 96 Bird.

LODRS 7-3 - Super Stock Qualifying, Friday Order

As always, if you guys see any Pontiacs I missed, especially the GT cars, please post it. Good luck to all these Pontiac guys. :)

Well, in this one Leo won the 1st round in both Stock and SS. Then he split the 2nd round, winning only in SS. Then he lost a close one, by 7 inches, in round 3. :(

http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=299028&Filter=100#indextop

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Randi Lyn won her 1st elim round, and was unopposed for her class win. :)

TOPEKA - Stock Eliminator Round 1 Eliminations

But, unfortunately, Bill Rink had a bad weekend and lost out in both his class and elim races. :(

Well, in round 2, Randi Lyn lost a real close race to her boyfriend, by about 8 inches. So I reckin all the Pontiacs are out, in Topeka. :(

TOPEKA - Stock Eliminator Round 2 Eliminations

But, there is lots of racing going on this weekend. There is a div 3 National Open race in Kentucky. There are at least 3 Pontiacs there, for sure. One is Allen Hollingworth's 2nd gen Formula.Then there's Todd Kuhn's '70 GTO. And Julie Biermann is there with her 10 sec E/SA '68 Bird. :)

Special Events

Todd won 3 rounds in the Stock/SS race on Sat.

BOWLING GREEN NO - Stock/Super Stock Combo Round 3 Eliminations

And Julie won 2 rounds in the Stock race on Memorial day.

BOWLING GREEN NO - Stock Eliminator Round 2 Eliminations

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like there are 2 Pontiac powered Stockers at the Div 1 race. Todd Hoven is entered in E/SA with what I believe is one of Truman Fields old cars. And Billy Nees is entered in a P/SA 301 powered '79 Lemans. I assume this is the same car that Don Himes drove in several of the races earlier this year. Not positive. Good luck to these Pontiac racers. :)

LODRS 1-2 - Stock Eliminator Qualifying, Friday Order

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Topeka S/ST

Hey ya'll, I never even thought to look at the Super Street entry list, for Topeka. There are 3 Pontiac powered cars on the list--a Bird and 2 Goats.

https://www.nhraeventreg.com/ListEventCatgs.asp?ey=2015&ec=TK1&cc=9&rn=8

All 3 made it thru round 1. :)

TOPEKA - Super Street Round 1 Winners

Tim Forshee made it to round 3, with his '73 Bird. There, he cut a .008 light, which is usually good enuff to win in bracket and index type racing. But this time, his opponent cut a perfect .000 light. :(

TOPEKA - Super Street Round 3 Eliminations

The '69 Goat belongs to Jason Hennessey. I could only find 2 pics of it, which are very small.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 69 Posts