Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a once a month car show (Caffeine and Octane) here in Atlanta that is once a month, and the best local show you'll ever go to. Incredible cars, from 1920s to multimillion dollar exotics (and plenty of 60s cars :D)

It's right after my college spring break starts, and it starts at 7:30 AM. It's gonna be 25 or so degrees. I have the original points ignition system and haven't driven the car in this kind of weather in over a year, no reason to living in the south. I've heard classic car don't like freezing or below freezing temps, google hasn't helped me confirm or deny this claim.

No salt on the roads, no snow. Any chance of something going wrong driving in these temp? Or is that just an old wives tale with no truth? I'd love to go to the show, but if the temps risk something it's not a big deal, she'll stay in the garage.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
When you first the car let it run for about 5 minutes. Drive the car about normal speeds and shift easy into each gear until temps (oil & water ) reach normal levels. Actually most of these cars seem to enjoy a run in 30-40 degree temps.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Up here in the frozen North, we drove the snot outta those cars back in the 60's and 70's in -35° temps.

Hopefully you have some degree of protection from freezing with anti-freeze.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Up here in the frozen North, we drove the snot outta those cars back in the 60's and 70's in -35° temps.

Hopefully you have some degree of protection from freezing with anti-freeze.
I was just going to say, I bet back in the day when they drove them year round no one worried about the temp..........:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts