Pontiac GTO Forum banner

2700 Mile Road Trip in Non-'Upgraded' 1967 GTO

3K views 43 replies 22 participants last post by  felicitywilkins 
#1 ·
Hi folks. I just got back from a long trip in the southwest in the '67 convertible with another retired friend of mine. We were talking about doing Route 66 25 years ago and now we had the time. The goal was to drive from Fresno to Cortez Colorado, using 66 and byways and visiting parks and friends along the way.
I did this trip in this car in 1993 right after I painted it, but haven't done it since. Funny how 30 years changes things.
The car is a stock, de-tuned '67 GTO with 87cc small valve #15 heads. Original carb. Original points distributor. Rebuilt in 1988 at 173,000 miles. TH400 and 2.56 Safe-T-Track. PS, PB, your basic garden-variety GTO.
Day one was Fresno to Kingman AZ via Oatman AZ. About 470 miles.
Day two was Kingman AZ to Phoenix AZ, about 200 miles.
Day three took us from Phoenix to Holbrook AZ, via Montezumas Castle, Payson, Show Low, the Painted Desert, and the Petrified Forest. About 300 miles in all.
Day four---added 1/4 quart of oil. No obvious leaks. Holbrook AZ to Cortez, CO, via Canyon de Chelly, Four Corners, Ship Rock, and New Mexico. Heavy rain from de Chelly to Cortez. Thunder and lightning as well. No top leaks!!!
Day five---Cortez to Mesa Verde National park. Long day. Treated like celebrities at every look out. Many retired RV'ers had a GTO new. Everybody loved seeing the car being used as a car. Getting back to the motel, I heard a slight squeaking coming from the left rear. Uh-oh. I jacked up the car and yep, the rear wheel bearing was loose. CRAP. Sunday evening, parts stores closed.
Day six---show up at NAPA at 730 AM and talk to Jordan, the third generation owner and a musclecar buff and hot-rodder and 4x4 guy. He could get the bearing in 24 hours. I had him order two. Spent the day in museums, pawn shops, hanging out with the locals, and looking at the wonderful scenery and eating great food. Jordan called a good friend who owns a diesel repair and fabrication shop and lined us up for getting the bearings pressed and installed. Great News!
Prayed that night that the axles were not trashed. If they were, I would be renting a truck and a trailer for the 900 mile trip home.
Day seven---went to NAPA at 7:45 and got the bearings as they were being checked into inventory. Headed to Diesel Performance where Clint took care of us.
A kid (to me) got right on it and had the axles out in no time. The driver's side was starting to spin the race and the passenger side was starting to fail as well, but had not spun. The passenger side had been peened once before to lock the bearing. News to me, as I have run this diff for 15 years or so but never did the axle bearings. The mechanic dimpled both sides and pressed the new bearings and retainers on and was totally confident they would hold because of the interference he had on the press. I tipped him, thanked him, thanked Clint, paid my bill, and hit the road.
Day eight---Cortez to Kingman AZ--420 miles. No issues. Heavy rain and thunderstorms most of the way.
Day nine--added another 1/4 quart of oil. I like it up to the full line on long hard runs. Kingman to Fresno. 442 miles. Hot, in the 90's. A sticky afternoon. Home by 330 pm.
Summary---2,715 miles total. Used 1/2 quart of oil total. (engine was rebuilt by me in 1988 and has about 85,000 miles on it since then. Re-sealed by me 12 years ago with a BOP rear main. No leaks) When I did this trip in '93 I must have used 3 quarts of oil because of the leaking rear main.
Tire Wheel Sky Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Two rear axle bearings. Total cost parts and labor about $350. Got very, very lucky axles were usable. Will source new axles for the future.
Car averaged 20.6 mpg for the entire trip. Had zero running issues even at 8400 feet elevation. The car loved running on real gas again.
Made zero carb or timing adjustments. Zip. Never even got out a tool. (except the jack!)
Everywhere we went we were mobbed like rock stars. Young, old, man, woman----it did not matter. Several people said that seeing the car 'made their day', two of them being park rangers and ag inspectors. Everybody had a 'goat' story. Or so it seemed.
My friend was so impressed with the comfort and economy and practicality of the GTO that he is now actively looking for one. A '68--'70 is his preference.
All in all, a very nice trip. And amazingly, no LS swap, Global West swap, Pertronix, Sniper, or anything else needed. And no problem with the drum brakes, either. Road trips are so much more fun in a classic GTO!!!

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi folks. I just got back from a long trip in the southwest in the '67 convertible with another retired friend of mine. We were talking about doing Route 66 25 years ago and now we had the time. The goal was to drive from Fresno to Cortez Colorado, using 66 and byways and visiting parks and friends along the way.
I did this trip in this car in 1993 right after I painted it, but haven't done it since. Funny how 30 years changes things.
The car is a stock, de-tuned '67 GTO with 87cc small valve #15 heads. Original carb. Original points distributor. Rebuilt in 1988 at 173,000 miles. TH400 and 2.56 Safe-T-Track. PS, PB, your basic garden-variety GTO.
Day three took us from Phoenix to Holbrook AZ, via Montezumas Castle, Payson, Show Low, the Painted Desert, and the Petrified Forest. About 300 miles in all.
Day four---added 1/4 quart of oil. No obvious leaks. Holbrook AZ to Cortez, CO, via Canyon de Chelly, Four Corners, Ship Rock, and New Mexico. Heavy rain from de Chelly to Cortez. Thunder and lightning as well. No top leaks!!!
Day five---Cortez to Mesa Verde National park. Long day. Treated like celebrities at every look out. Many retired RV'ers had a GTO new. Everybody loved seeing the car being used as a car. Getting back to the motel, I heard a slight squeaking coming from the left rear. Uh-oh. I jacked up the car and yep, the rear wheel bearing was loose. CRAP. Sunday evening, parts stores closed.
Day six---show up at NAPA at 730 AM and talk to Jordan, the third generation owner and a musclecar buff and hot-rodder and 4x4 guy. He could get the bearing in 24 hours. I had him order two. Spent the day in museums, pawn shops, hanging out with the locals, and looking at the wonderful scenery and eating great food. Jordan called a good friend who owns a diesel repair and fabrication shop and lined us up for getting the bearings pressed and installed. Great News!
Prayed that night that the axles were not trashed. If they were, I would be renting a truck and a trailer for the 900 mile trip home.
Day seven---went to NAPA at 7:45 and got the bearings as they were being checked into inventory. Headed to Diesel Performance where Clint took care of us.
A kid (to me) got right on it and had the axles out in no time. The driver's side was starting to spin the race and the passenger side was starting to fail as well, but had not spun. The passenger side had been peened once before to lock the bearing. News to me, as I have run this diff for 15 years or so but never did the axle bearings. The mechanic dimpled both sides and pressed the new bearings and retainers on and was totally confident they would hold because of the interference he had on the press. I tipped him, thanked him, thanked Clint, paid my bill, and hit the road.
Day eight---Cortez to Kingman AZ--420 miles. No issues. Heavy rain and thunderstorms most of the way.
Day nine--added another 1/4 quart of oil. I like it up to the full line on long hard runs. Kingman to Fresno. 442 miles. Hot, in the 90's. A sticky afternoon. Home by 330 pm.
Summary---2,715 miles total. Used 1/2 quart of oil total. (engine was rebuilt by me in 1988 and has about 85,000 miles on it since then. Re-sealed by me 12 years ago with a BOP rear main. No leaks) When I did this trip in '93 I must have used 3 quarts of oil because of the leaking rear main. View attachment 165770 View attachment 165771
Two rear axle bearings. Total cost parts and labor about $350. Got very, very lucky axles were usable. Will source new axles for the future.
Car averaged 20.6 mpg for the entire trip. Had zero running issues even at 8400 feet elevation. The car loved running on real gas again.
Made zero carb or timing adjustments. Zip. Never even got out a tool. (except the jack!)
Everywhere we went we were mobbed like rock stars. Young, old, man, woman----it did not matter. Several people said that seeing the car 'made their day', two of them being park rangers and ag inspectors. Everybody had a 'goat' story. Or so it seemed.
My friend was so impressed with the comfort and economy and practicality of the GTO that he is now actively looking for one. A '68--'70 is his preference.
All in all, a very nice trip. And amazingly, no LS swap, Global West swap, Pertronix, Sniper, or anything else needed. And no problem with the drum brakes, either. Road trips are so much more fun in a classic GTO!!!
Awesome trip @geeteeohguy! I drove from the Bay Area to San Antonio TX in 2 days (1700 miles) in my almost stock '67. Can't say i didn't get the tools out.....had to about every 3 hours :). AC bracket broke, transmission cable broke (had my TH400 rebuilt and they forgot to put back a click).....so i had to stop the car on level ground and manually put it in park (very fun). Squirly dizzy....wouldn't always start (thanks goodness for my jumper battery).....it's a lonely road between El Paso and civilization.

Drove through Kinsgman AZ where Route 66 museum....immediately put drive Route 66 on my bucket list. Thank you for the reminder and inspiration!

#10 ·
Yes. Both are over 35 years old. Original carb and distributor as well. I replaced the underhood wiring harness in 2011 and that eliminated electrical gremlins I had lived with for years prior. I was surprised that I had no drivability issues at high altitudes----it ran like it always does. Turn -key starting, no hesitation, and no misfires. My friend drove some of the time and couldn't believe that we were able to pull long grades at 75 mph without even going into passing gear. Good old Pontiac torque.

#11 ·
Summary---2,715 miles total. Used 1/2 quart of oil total. (engine was rebuilt by me in 1988 and has about 85,000 miles on it since then. Re-sealed by me 12 years ago with a BOP rear main. No leaks) When I did this trip in '93 I must have used 3 quarts of oil because of the leaking rear main. View attachment 165770 View attachment 165771
What a great trip and better story, have the top down much? Were you worried parking it overnight at the motels or where ever you stayed? Remember OMT got his '64 sport wheel stolen.

#12 ·
Had the top down some of the time. No better way to cruise though the National Parks. Skipped out on Vegas on the way back because of active crime, and pretty much no worries in the smaller towns. I used the Truck Club on the wheel and left the car unlocked with nothing in it. Also, most of the motels we were able to park right in front of the room. I think on a random cross-country trip you are safer against thieves than you are at an organized event, where they know the nice cars will be in advance. Now I have about a day's worth of cleaning due to rain and bugs, and need to change the oil. There's the Eagle Field Vintage Drags today 60 miles away and the Clovis Classic Car Show, but it's supposed to be mid 90's again and I'm done with driving for the week!

#13 ·
I love seeing someone use these cars as they were intended to be used. Due to excruciatingly bad fuel mileage, mine would not be road trip friendly, but I use it on local errands whenever the weather cooperates. You get some strange looks when you're loading 4 bags of Kingsford in the trunk at the Home Depot.

Going any where with these old cars feels more like and adventure than running errands, going on trips, filling with gas, whatever.

#14 ·
The installation of the 2.56 gears was a game changer. I've done several trips like this over the years with the old 3.36 gear and got around 15 mpg at 65-ish mph. Being able to pull down 20 to 23 mpg at 80 mph is a game changer. And why a lot of guys install an OD or a 5 speed. Also, I installed a 1970 GTO rear sway bar before the trip that I bought 25 years ago. I was VERY glad I did, as we did a lot of our driving in the mountains at fairly high speeds. (to keep up with the pickup trucks, of course!)

#16 ·
3.23 IMO is the best all around gear with a 4 speed manual. Decent on the highway and decent around town. For a car that is used as a car. An automatic lets you 'get away' with a really lazy gear due to the torque converter and not having to slip a clutch disc. I took the same trip in 1982 in my '66 GTO with 3.55 gears and a 4 speed and got decent mileage because the speed limit was 55 mph back then and enforced to the hilt. At 55-60 mph, the economy goes waaaay up, but those 450 mile days take FOREVER.

#18 ·
My dad bought a new Olds in 1972. He ordered the car so it was a weird build. He had all the comfort shit except for AC. Car had map lights, side moldings, and bumper guards, pretty ugly by todays standards. It was ordered as a Cutlass S in orange over black with a black top. He also opted for all the performance goodies available on a 350 A body car in 1972. He spec'ed out the 4 bolt main 350 with a 4 speed and 3.23 rear gears. He swears to this day that he would get 23 mpg with that car if he kept the speed below 60.

#17 ·
Good for you. Sounds like you had a great time and the pics are super. My wife and I talk about doing Rt 66 when we retire in less than 2 yrs but I don't think my GTO will be road-ready by then and to do that trip in the Trans Am with an Olds 455 would cost a fortune. It'll pass everything but a gas station!

#22 ·
Thanks for a great travelogue! You're the envy of most of us, who wish we could/would drive our cars on longer trips. My longest trip was when I purchased mine in 2009. I bought it from an honest guy in Cleveland, OH, about 375 miles from home. The '67 was in good shape, and when I asked him if he'd drive it home, he paused and said...yeah, I'd do it. So I did. I had no problems other than a screaming speedometer about half-way home. Growing up in the late 60's, I was familiar with how to disconnect the speedometer cable under the dash (did it often so Dad didn't know how far I had driven). My car is a bit unusual, one of the few with a 2 BBL carb and 2.78 rear end, pretty much completely original. I am very happy with the power, and it gets good gas mileage. Who knows what the original purchaser was thinking, but it's nicely optioned, with AC, PS, front disk brakes, and more. At my age, I don't care about burning the tires and just enjoy the drive. Hopefully I can emulate you and go on some longer drives!
Dave

#23 ·
I think the Triple X movie made a lot of the younger people aware of the styling....the young Native American kids flipped out over it. And the old retired guys who bought them when they got home from 'nam just wanted to see under the hood. The only real difference from a modern car going down the road was no cruise control and the thin steering wheel. Nobody passed us going up long grades....not even the $100,000 dollar pickup trucks with 10 speed transmissions.

#24 ·
It's been several years, but a friend and I drove our Pontiacs from Southern California to the GTOAA/POCI Co-Vention in Ohio and back home again. Total of 4,650 mile round trip and while we both hauled spare parts split between us, none were needed.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Last half dozen years several of our GTO club members and I have make the drive to the four day Midnight At The Oasis show in Yuma, Arizona which is a 650 mile round trip. A few trailer but the majority of us just drive. Always a little sketchy going out to dinner but ya gotta eat. Here is the smaller sibling being protected by it's older brothers in a restaurant parking lot in downtown Yuma.
Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle

#25 ·
Longest trip I took with my '67 428 tri power was in '84 from northern Illinois to Springfield IL for the Car Craft Nationals, got pretty good mileage with a light foot but had a 3.42 or 3:70 gear...wine cooler between my legs and no seat belts and no GPS. Not one part needed or one breakdown even after two nights of cruising, people dumping beer on the street making me do burn outs while snapping pictures 👍
Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle
Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel Car

#28 ·
I actually thought about bringing a spare axle but didn't have a good one. I've lost 3 or 3 rear bearings over the years, the most memorable was heading off on a vacation in my '65 back int he '80's and going down a steep hill close to home and seeing my rear tire in the rear view. That ended the vacation. But I checked both sides and the entire car on the lift before the trip so I was falsely confident. I agree with Pontiac Jim on the HP compromise. I built this engine 35 years ago and it is very mild. But it has been extrememely reliable and economical. My rebuild cost was $1800 to build in 1988 dollars and has about 85,000 miles on it. Flat tappet hydraulic cam, too. The older I get, the less enthusiastic I am about hot running, lopey, high strung, short-geared cars. At least to use as cars. They are fun at the cruise-in, but I'd rather be out on the open road somewhere, knocking back the miles.

#30 ·
Simply bad ass.

#32 ·
That is an amazing, inspirational story. There is no better feeling than taking it out and driving as it was meant to be driven. Hopefully this sparks some inspiration in others to get their goats up and running. After a 40 year absence, I am now the proud second owner of a 1969 GTO Convertible and I have been steadily increasing my distances. And as you mentioned, everyone loves chatting up the goat and their personal connections to their old cars. Drive safe.

#34 ·
There are quite a few of us that actual do drive these old cars. I can't do the type of trip @geeteeohguy did with his with choices I made under the hood, but mine still saw ~1300 miles last season and somewhere around 400 this year. @armyadarkness racks up a ton of miles on his. I look at it this way, when the day comes that I don't feel comfortable driving mine, and leaving it in a parking lot somewhere, due to value is the day I sell it off. I was picking up a 6 pack last week with the 81 Vette that was left at my house (200 miles on that one in the past 2 weeks) and ended up chatting with an older woman in the lot about the car. She was so happy to see one on the road. She went on to tell me her husband has a 67 Vette and hasn't driven it more than around the block in years because it makes him nervous. My take on that is sell the Vette and buy a new Camaro or Charger.

#35 ·
Loved your daily journal and comments. We have the Rt 66 road trip on the schedule 5 years out- just after retirement (Start in MO and go to just inside CA - I ain't getting nowhere near Chicago or L.A.). My car is going to be close to bone stock on the motor, but I will probably replace the valve seats to run on the 93 octane and am building a 200-4R for the overdrive. With 3.55 gears, I should have final drive of around 2.38 and HOPE I get some decent mileage like you did. Your post has inspired me to keep a journal like you did. The car will pass to my grandson, and maybe he'll repeat the trip someday. If he can still get pump gas then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.