Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 66 matching 389 block with crankshaft and that's about it. Does anyone have any idea how much it will cost (a range would be nice)to make it complete. I am not talking high end parts just average and new replacement or reconditioned is fine. Just talking parts not labor.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Hard to come up with a figure when you are basically needing an engine. Sometimes a seemingly good deal is not. Is the block stock bore? First you want to have the block magnafluxed for cracks. Then same with the crank and have it checked for straightness and journal wear issues.

Personally, I would pass UNLESS you needed just a block or crank. By the time you buy each piece individually and pay shipping charges, it would have been more cost effective to have purchased a complete engine and go from there.

Check out this web site and you can just about figure your costs here. Pontiac Engines, Blocks Cranks & Intakes

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
X2, in spades. Buy a complete engine. Better still, buy a complete engine you can hear run. Old and tired is ok. No knocking allowed, though. I've seen complete, running 389-400's go for around $500-$750.....some needing rebuilds, others not so much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts