Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have an 05 A4 and occasionally i like to put her in 1, wait till about 3k rpm and go to 2, wait till 3k and then put her in 3 (just like the way it sounds). Anyway the shift from 1-2 happens pretty quick but from 2-3 takes 1 to 2 seconds, I am not going fast just letting the rpms make the exhaust sing.

If i leave it in D i don't notice any slow shifting, just when bumping from 2 to 3. Is something wrong with with my transmission? Is it bad to shift an auto like that? Should I just leave her in drive the whole time?

I love my GTO and just want to make sure she is ok. :) thx for any replies.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
IMO, I say let the tranny do the shifting, autos are set up to shift at the optimal speed and RPM, if you want better performance out of your Auto get a programmer or have it tuned by a tuner. From my understanding it is bad to manualy shift a auto unless it was set up to do so because you do not let it build the proper line pressure and could damage it in the long run, that is what I've read back in the 700R4 days but newer autos can be differant.

Also GM put TM in autos now that do not allow the full potential of your car. They put TM(Torque Management) in there to protect the drivetrain.
I haven't manually shifted a GTO before but yours sounds ok, its just that the tranny is pretty much going to shift it self when the time is right.

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
Welcome tho the forum Arkuss.

GM gave you sound advice.

Using the lower gears is not for normal driving conditions. Climbing steep grades while towing, and down shifting going down steep grades to help with braking is generally the times down shifting is recommended.

I would dismiss something being wrong with the tranny. I would recommend putting it in D and let the tranny do the work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, no mountains in st.louis and i definitely wont be towing anything with my Goat, so D it is . Thanks again !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts