Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a 4 speed console will work for a 3 speed? I was looking at a pic of a 4 speed and the shifter looks to be a different shape than mine. Anyone add a console to a 3 speed? The pic is mine. the other would not upload.
Resized_20200205_215235.jpg
Resized_20200205_215235.jpg

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Yes, consoles were the same. The 4 speed stick is much straighter than the stick in your photo. Your stick looks original, so the shifter MAY have been different with a console-equipped car. You might have clearance issues with the bend in that stick......

·
Registered
727 Posts
I thought there was 2 different hurst handles used in 67 for the 4 speed the bent one shown
4178 and another ? I forget the number

it looked like the straighter 65 66 one tho

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I thought. the other looked different. Everything on my car is original so the shifter is a original 3 speed w/o console.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The schematic guru strikes again. Thanks Gtojunior, That's what is the difference in the shifters. Now I would be interested if anyone has a console with the straighter(#2) of the two shifters. Otherwise I am guessing I could change the shifter bar only. Would that be possible?

·
Registered
727 Posts
thats bench seat and bucket seat

I thought there is 2 different 4 speed console hurst shifter handles..
plus the super rare bench seat like this one I have

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered my 67 GTO with the Strato-Back bench seat and a 4-speed. In the early 80's I stored the bench seat and found a set of '67 buckets at Pick-A-Part and purchased a 4-speed console from a vendor at the Pomona, CA swap meet. Never bothered to change the shift handle and it still cleared the console, but was within fractions of an inch of clipping the chrome. A bucket seat shift handle should have tons of room. I'm just about ready to get the car back on the road after the conversion to the TKO-600 trans and Dana 60 rear end, and kept the bench seat shift handle with the conversion. Very short shift pattern on the Tremec and the handle doesn't come close to the edge. We did slide the console back some after taking the picture and the handle is centered now.
Console.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts