Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not exactly a GTO question, but I use an F350 w/ 4 wheel drive to tow it around so here it is.
My front tires wear so that on the outside is WAY more worn than the inside.
several have told me this is normal on FWD's. Is this true?
Y'all"s the smartest folks I've ever known.
thanks as always
ps still hung over from vegas...........:cheers
:cool:party::seeya

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
TK, a lot of those Fords eat tires. The ones with Twin-I-Beam and the ones without. Aftermarket camber correction kits are available and can be installed by a competent alignment tech. They are labor intensive and they are not cheap, but are a permanent fix for the tire wear problem. Just had this done on my GF's Ford van she uses for her business and the tires are straight up and down now and are wearing fine, no longer on edge.

·
Registered
686 Posts
How many miles? Is it a dually? I have own 3 ford 4x4 all single wheel and single cab. All 3 has a 460, 1 auto 3 speed, 1 4 speed manual, and 1 5 speed manual.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I know the older Fords had a fixed camber sleeve where the Chevys have an adjustable one. I have rebuild many Ford and Chevy front ends. The camber sleeves can be a really big Bia to get out. Why is it every car or truck I own needs new suspension, tires, and brakes?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I do fleet maintenance on the HD rental trucks, 08 or so F350s. They wear the outside of the tires within 5k miles and get cupped up and need frequent rotating. My theory is, big truck with tight turning radius, so you are trying to get out of a tight spot with the steering wheel at lock, the accelerating thus pushing the tire sideway and scrubbing the outers off of the tire. Also some bad geometry in the suspension.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Common on a ford. Nothing to do with 4wd. I get 60k out of the tires on my lifted cheby. Of course my spare matches and I rotate all 5 which helps.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I do fleet maintenance on the HD rental trucks, 08 or so F350s. They wear the outside of the tires within 5k miles and get cupped up and need frequent rotating. My theory is, big truck with tight turning radius, so you are trying to get out of a tight spot with the steering wheel at lock, the accelerating thus pushing the tire sideway and scrubbing the outers off of the tire. Also some bad geometry in the suspension.
:agree rotate often. :cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts