Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased this project from the widow of a man who passed away 2 years ago. The engine and trans were rebuilt but sat 2 years. The engine started up and runs very well. However when I put the trans in reverse or drive, the car will not move. The dip stick shows only a very small amount of fluid. I don't know if the torque converter was filled before installation. What are your thoughts or advice on this? Thanks for any help. Burt

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Is the drive shaft in the car ?
is the torque converter bolted to the flexplate ?
is the tranny fluid up to the full mark? warmed up in park?
is the shifter cable hooked up ?
does the tranny make a buzz sound ?
are the brakes locked up ?
is it an original correct dip stick and tube ?
2 speed ? th 350 ? th 400 ? 200r4 ??

just a couple things come to mind

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Is the drive shaft in the car ?
is the torque converter bolted to the flexplate ?
is the tranny fluid up to the full mark? warmed up in park?
is the shifter cable hooked up ?
does the tranny make a buzz sound ?
are the brakes locked up ?
is it an original correct dip stick and tube ?
2 speed ? th 350 ? th 400 ? 200r4 ??

just a couple things come to mind
Title of the post says TH-400. Hmmmm. Had your morning coffee yet? o_O LOL

When you check the trans fluid level, the engine must be running.

So fill it up, and don't let it run long with a low fill level. That is where you want to at least start.

Then follow BLACK69JUDGE's list. Most likely the trans may have a slow leak and sitting all these years it has leaked out. However, not knowing anything about the car, the previous owner could have had a trans issue and it needs a rebuild. TH-400's are not the expensive to get rebuilt. And, you want to keep the original TH-400 (assuming it still is) because they have a few factory modifications which improved them over other non-GTO TH-400's.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
yah, JIm I missed that right at the beginning th400
just started listing things....TEMPEST was stuck in my mind
and
it probably not original because its a 68 tempest and I dont think many tempest in 68 had th400's

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just purchased this project from the widow of a man who passed away 2 years ago. The engine and trans were rebuilt but sat 2 years. The engine started up and runs very well. However when I put the trans in reverse or drive, the car will not move. The dip stick shows only a very small amount of fluid. I don't know if the torque converter was filled before installation. What are your thoughts or advice on this? Thanks for any help. Burt
Did it ever drive? If it did and then sat, there's a good chance it's just low on fluid. I'm hoping that you pulled the stick and it barely reads not running. If so, this might be your lucky day. As Jim/blk69 point out, you check this running and the difference on the stick running to not is a lot. Also sitting the converter might have drained out a little which is going to make the difference from running to not quite a bit more.
If it never drove after the redo, then you're going to have to tackle blk69judge's list.
As I always suggest, simple and easy stuff first.
Hopefully a gallon of fluid and you're moving!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
yah, JIm I missed that right at the beginning th400
just started listing things....TEMPEST was stuck in my mind
and
it probably not original because its a 68 tempest and I dont think many tempest in 68 had th400's
Well, I had my morning coffee but I guess it did not kick in. I was thinking GTO TH-400 which has the high performance TH-400. LOL So it is most likely a TH-400 swap? Or the new member may not be sure what he actually has. Then that could be a few other different checks like a vacuum hose disconnected?

I think we need more info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for responding with your knowledge and experience. I will follow up next week and respond back with what I find. You all gave me great direction to follow. I am very thankful I was able to join this forum. I have receipts of the motor and trans being rebuild in 2015. It shows the motor being bored .30 over and balanced as a 400 ci. Also shows the trans as a 400. I am sure it is not original factory built to this tempest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it did run before I purchased it. The widow said her husband started the car in the garage after installing motor and trans about once a month. It was not driven from garage where he install motor and trans. She said he changed motor oil and filter about 1 year before he passed in 2018. It had not been driven from garage.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yes it did run before I purchased it. The widow said her husband started the car in the garage after installing motor and trans about once a month. It was not driven from garage where he install motor and trans. She said he changed motor oil and filter about 1 year before he passed in 2018. It had not been driven from garage.
So the transmission has never successfully moved the car? If it's all new put together, great chance the ole convertor not all the way engaged with the pump is at play here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Burt
have you moved the gear selector down to 1st (low) gear, maybe the cable is not correct for the th400? floor shift?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the suggestion, I will check that out. Hope to have time next week to follow up on all the great ideas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had time to follow up on your ideas for my project. It was a simple fix. Added 4 quarts ATF and all is working now. Sometimes I fail to check the basic things first and tend to think major problems exist. Thanks again, I look forward to gaining more knowledge from you all as I work on this car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts